Skip to main content

Project plan

Last post 11:11 am November 8, 2022 by Ryan Kent
4 replies
05:11 am November 7, 2022

Hi all.

>Each Sprint may be considered a short project.

I think it means that each sprint is a project plan and PO will update project plan at the time after the end of the previous sprint and before the start of the new sprint.

is it correct?

2. By the way, I still confuse about Cone of Uncertainty means.

Could you help me clarify that?

Thank you in advance for the help.

09:52 pm November 7, 2022

> Each Sprint may be considered a short project.

I think it means that each sprint is a project plan and PO will update project plan at the time after the end of the previous sprint and before the start of the new sprint.

is it correct?

If you consider each Sprint to be a project, then the project plan would be the Sprint Backlog. The Scrum Guide even defined the Sprint Backlog as being "composed of the Spring Goal (why), the set of Product Backlog Items selected for the Sprint (what), and the actionable plan for delivering the Increment (how)". Since the Sprint Backlog is a "plan by and for the Developers", the Developers would be the ones who create the project plan at Sprint Planning, review the success or failure of the project against the plan at the Sprint Review, and find ways to improve the chances of success in future projects (Sprints) at the Sprint Retrospective.

The Product Owner is accountable for managing the Product Backlog. This is a continuously ongoing activity. However, reviewing the state of the Product Backlog and the current Product Goal is a good activity for the Sprint Review.

Thank you in advance for the help.

The further away you look into the future, the less certainty exists in what will happen. You know with (near) certainty where you are right now. You can very accurately predict what will happen over the next day. You can forecast what is likely to happen in the next week or two. It's very difficult to make predictions or forecasts about what will be happening in 2 or 3 months. The cone of uncertainty recognizes that as you move further in time, you gain knowledge and information that helps predict where you will end up and what it will cost to get there.

10:16 pm November 7, 2022

>Each Sprint may be considered a short project.

is it correct?

A project may be defined as a temporary endeavor which yields a valuable outcome. By definition that's what a Sprint must surely be: each Sprint is time-boxed to a certain length, and yields a Done increment which meets a Sprint Goal.

If you say that something is likely to be delivered in (say) 10 Sprints time, you are giving a very precise number, but it is not necessarily an accurate one. It is a rough number precisely stated. It might be more accurate to say that (for example) something will be delivered in 10 Sprints time with an 85% probability it will be one Sprint either way and a 95% probability it will be two Sprints either way. Graph out the various probabilities and you would see the so-called cone of uncertainty being described.

12:51 am November 8, 2022

Thank you very much Thomas and Lan.

I would like to summarize with understanding from your explanation as follows:

1, The developer will create the project plan, not the PO

and the developer will create in sprint planning after selecting the PBIs for the incomming sprint.

2, Cone of Uncertainty shows what is uncertain or predictable about uncertainty during a project over time

11:11 am November 8, 2022

1, The developer will create the project plan, not the PO

and the developer will create in sprint planning after selecting the PBIs for the incomming sprint.

I would be careful about thinking in terms of "project plans". Though a Sprint can be thought of as a small project, plans may change throughout the Sprint, potentially daily, based on what the team learns as they go.

Developers will pull in PBIs that they think will help them achieve the Sprint Goal. Developers plan the work needed to turn PBIs into Increment(s) that meet DoD. PBIs may be added or removed through the course of the Sprint in order to achieve the Sprint Goal, which means planning is an ongoing activity.

Planning occurs, but there is no set plan apart from a Sprint Goal.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.