Skip to main content

BA Role in Sprint & BA Task in Sprint

Last post 10:51 pm November 16, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
06:47 pm November 16, 2022

Hello,  

I work in a scrum team as a business analyst. There is something I want to clarify. Should I be included in the sprint plan as a BA? Or should I further my analysis through the backlog?

In other words, should the tasks belonging to BA appear while doing daily on the sprint jira board?

10:25 pm November 16, 2022

In Scrum, there is no actual reference to Sprint Boards.  However in the Scrum Guide, the Sprint Backlog is defined as 

The Sprint Backlog is composed of the Sprint Goal (why), the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint (what), as well as an actionable plan for delivering the Increment (how).

If the work you are doing fits into those categories, then it should be reflected in the Sprint Backlog.  However, if the work you are doing is related to refining or defining Product Backlog items, that would not be included.

To go a bit further, if your work does fit into those categories, you would be considered as someone that fills the Developer responsibility in Scrum.  

Developers are the people in the Scrum Team that are committed to creating any aspect of a usable Increment each Sprint.

10:51 pm November 16, 2022

In other words, should the tasks belonging to BA appear while doing daily on the sprint jira board?

Are those tasks necessary for the Sprint Goal to be met, and for a Done increment of usable quality to be provided?

If so, you're one of the Developers, and transparency over the work is surely needed.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.