Skip to main content

Scrummaster reporting line

Last post 09:03 pm October 26, 2015 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
06:58 am October 26, 2015

Hi, I am new to this group and have had a quick search of the forum to see if this has been discussed, ,but cant see it readily, so apolgies if it has

My questions is do any of you have scrummasters that report into a different line manager to the delivery team. What might be the pros/cons of such an arrangement?

Many thanks in advance
Jon

10:30 am October 26, 2015

Hi Jon,

I am scrum master and report to a different line manager than the rest of the team (who report to a delivery manager). The pro is that as a scrum master, I don't feel taken back to discuss my team members with the delivery manager, because she is not my manager, but the delivery manager and my manager need to cooperate very closely, since different viewpoints or directions could disturb the team. I think it is preferred to all have the same manager so the team can be treated as a whole and not as different parts within this whole.

Regards

05:17 pm October 26, 2015

... as a scrum master, I don't feel taken back to discuss my team members with the delivery manager, because she is not my manager

Niels, what possible feedback would you ever want to provide to the Delivery Manager for the team?

That is a very shaky path to go on. The SM should strive at all times to treat the team as a whole, even when alternate reporting lines exist.

09:03 pm October 26, 2015

The best authority for the Scrum Master to "report" to is the one who can assist in the removal of team impediments. It might be a group rather than a specifically empowered individual. In either case the principle should be one of extended and collaborative servant leadership.

So in your situation...what is being reported, and why? How does this reporting help the Scrum Master to help the team?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.