Skip to main content

How to track progress of individual tasks

Last post 11:23 am November 23, 2015 by Venkatesh Rajamani
4 replies
12:09 pm November 12, 2015

Hi All,

My team works on user stories from Rally and issues from Githubs for each sprint. My leadership team wants me to look for a way to see the progress of both these in one place on everyday basis.

03:04 pm November 12, 2015

Vasantha,

Is your team working from an accepted Sprint Backlog each sprint that is composed of user stories and issues? Are all of these items estimated?

A centralized Sprint Burndown chart can provide a dynamic way for your organization to view your team's sprint progress, as long as the team is vigilant in maintaining story status.

I would also propose inviting them to listen in on your team's Daily Stand-up meetings, as this can be another method to gauge sprint progress.

07:59 pm November 12, 2015

In Scrum the "leadership team" tracking daily progress is the Development Team. They manage and are responsible for their own work.

Impediments can be raised by them to the Scrum Master. Does the situation you describe represent an impediment to the team and their ability to meet the Sprint Goal?

07:44 am November 14, 2015

Looks like you are maintaining two separate backlogs for sprint - in Rally and in Github. Merge them into one and generate custom reports as per your leadership requirement.

11:23 am November 23, 2015

Take all the work that your team needs to do. Prioritise them. If git hub work is popping in at the middle of the sprint make sure your team manage priorities and work on committed items.

Have all the sprint backlogs in one place to track progress

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.