Skip to main content

Backlog refinement meeting

Last post 08:32 pm February 24, 2017 by Sergiy Pshenychnyy
15 replies
05:14 am November 24, 2015

Hi,

Is there any timebox for the backlog refinement meeting?

Thank you

05:18 am November 24, 2015

This is a part of Sprint which takes no more that 10% of Sprint's time

05:25 am November 24, 2015

Thank you.

08:25 am November 24, 2015

Product Backlog Refinement is an ongoing activity, and unless it is being conducted at scale it is not a time-boxed event. However, there is nothing to stop teams from time-boxing each refinement session anyway. In general it is good practice to use time-boxing.

06:12 am November 25, 2015

Thanks.

11:59 pm March 20, 2016

Hi all,
I'm new in PSM and have a naive question, plz help me to clarify if possible. Thanks

I have a concern, " no more that 10% of Sprint's time", does that mean that if a sprint 2 weeks (10 working days), we shouldn't spend more than 10% x 10 days = 1day for Refinement meeting?

Thanks,
Vinh

05:23 pm March 21, 2016

Keep in mind, the 10% is a guideline in the Scrum Guide:

"Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team."

From my experience, refinement sessions usually consume 5-10% of the sprint length.

If your sprint length is 2 weeks, your team should be working with your product owner to refine future stories anywhere from 4-8 hours per sprint, split up among as many refinement sessions as needed.

05:37 pm March 21, 2016

Hi All,

I am new to Scrum as well and was a little confused by the response. Is backlog refinement albeit of future user stories etc) part of the previous sprint or is it a separate event outside of the sprint with a recommended guideline of not using more than 10% of dev team's bandwidth for this ?

Thanks,

09:20 am March 22, 2016

It is a current sprint effort for the team and the Product Owner to groom stories for future sprints (meet Definition of Ready).

09:37 am March 26, 2016

"is it a separate event outside of the sprint "
There is nothing outside of the Sprint.
A new sprint starts just right after the last one.

08:33 pm October 2, 2016

//It is a current sprint effort for the team and the Product Owner to groom stories for future sprints//

If this is the case, when does the refinement happens i.e Definition of Ready is met for the very first sprint? It would be inevitably outside first sprint if I am correct.

01:56 pm October 3, 2016

If this is the case, when does the refinement happens i.e Definition of Ready is met for the very first sprint? It would be inevitably outside first sprint if I am correct.

There are already several threads on this subject, the latest of which is below:

https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/2253

03:21 pm October 3, 2016

thanks Timothy.

05:45 am February 22, 2017

Hello I am New to Scrum 

Who are involved in Product Backlog Refinement Meetings ? 

05:22 am February 23, 2017

background being that during backlog refinement work is sliced (comprehended correctly), estimated to make a story(s) ready to be picked for a sprint. So, typically product owner and team are involved and if required other stakeholders. Having stakeholders help in clarifying any assumptions/questions so as to keep getting traction on refinement without getting blocked by long discussions on a story.

08:18 pm February 24, 2017

Backlog Refinement is not a time-boxed event but it does not mean it cannot be time-boxed. The team just need to allocate enough time on backlog grooming over sprint so that backlog will be clean and ordered by your next sprint planning.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.