Skip to main content

Capacity to reach DoD

Last post 08:14 am December 5, 2022 by Mikhail Sorokin
7 replies
04:26 pm December 2, 2022

Done PBI's is not a done increment, I think nobody would argue with that, right :) Velocity would help make the forecast of how many PBI's a team could be able to delivery in a sprint.  I wonder that is the effort(let it be capacity) delta between the effort to complete stories and make an increment compliant to DoD. Of course it depends on the context of the product being developed. Just want to get a sense of how big the delta can be.  Please share you thoughts. Thank you.  

04:44 pm December 2, 2022

Done PBI's is not a done increment, I think nobody would argue with that, right :) 

The Scrum Guide says: "The moment a Product Backlog item meets the Definition of Done, an Increment is born." There's your delta.

05:14 pm December 2, 2022

Yeah, that's right.  I wonder what is the effort between a PBI defined by AC's and really done PBI? 

05:20 pm December 2, 2022

Done PBI's is not a done increment, I think nobody would argue with that, right

I would argue with that statement, quoting the same part of the Scrum Guide that Ian did. If your Definition of Done for a Product Backlog Item does not result in a Done increment, then that is a problem that needs to be solved with your Definition of Done. Whenever a PBI is Done, there should be a new product Increment. The only question is if anything happens with that Increment - just because there's a new product Increment does not mean that it has to be demonstrated, delivered, or deployed to stakeholders.

I wonder that is the effort(let it be capacity) delta between the effort to complete stories and make an increment compliant to DoD.

It should be 0. Assuming that a "story" is a Product Backlog Item, when the story conforms to the Definition of Done, then the Increment should also conform to the Definition of Done.

If, for some reason, you need to do more work in order to make the Increment something that is acceptable to stakeholders, those are opportunities to improve your development environment and process.

05:53 pm December 2, 2022

Yeah, that's right.  I wonder what is the effort between a PBI defined by AC's and really done PBI? 

Whatever it is, it must be enough to overcome:

• the lack of transparency over whatever "really done" means, plus
  • the opportunity cost incurred through putting an empirical outcome in delay

06:36 pm December 2, 2022

I realized that the question statement was confusing and indeed with incorrectness.   I was wondering about the delta of what is implemented within the story(only what's defined by the PBI scope) and what it takes to make the PBI to DoD. 

11:44 pm December 2, 2022

I was wondering about the delta of what is implemented within the story(only what's defined by the PBI scope) and what it takes to make the PBI to DoD. 

That delta is technical debt.

08:14 am December 5, 2022

Thank you all for your comments.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.