Skip to main content

Line Managers in a Scrum Team

Last post 04:44 am January 4, 2016 by Bartek Kobylecki
8 replies
05:45 am December 28, 2015

Hi All –

although it's a common issue (I believe) I still struggle with it. I would like to make things clear especially when preparing for PSM II :)

The case.
There is a DT with a Line Manager of all other devs. LM is a Tech Lead at the same time, but let's don't consider this now. I'm a SM serving this team. Line Manager is a developer himself. He has 1:1s with everyone one the team, talks about feedback received from other people etc.

Although LM is acting like professional - trying to be as objective as possible, avoiding giving advices - I see that his voice matters bit more then the others.

The issue.
LM is changing team dynamics in a way that hinders the team from self-organization. For example LM sometimes represents the team when talking to the PO, which reduces transparency and responsibility.
The issue was surfaced, but at this moment organization will not allow any changes in this regard.

What strategies to solve the issue are here to be applied?
On the top level there would be something like Scrum or notScrum oriented solution. Let's exclude notScrum as it doesn't fit this forum.
Is Scrum implementation still possible here? If I accept the situation and make sure everyone is aware how this setup might impact team's behaviour should I stop using Scrum vocabulary to avoid false expectations and misunderstandings?
Are Line Managers within a Scrum Team a no-go for a Scrum implementation? If yes, what are acceptable solutions for described case?

11:10 am December 28, 2015

Hi Bartek,

I assume you understand that there is no such thing as a Line Manager in Scrum. How is this person empowered by the organisation? Are there formal sign-offs or permissions that the Line Manager is required to do?

Although Scrum prescribes that a team should be self-managing, this does not mean that there is no such thing as leadership in the team. It is quite possible that people have a heavier say in certain matters simply because they know a lot about something. An example of this is the Scrum Master, who is the person to go to if you have questions about Scrum. This only becomes a problem in the case where others contribute less because of a dominant team member. Ideally the role of every leader is that of the Servant Leader. Leadership that is focussed on bringing out the best team work.

As for the strategies that you could apply - I like to use the 'blue elephant' principle when it comes to changing behaviour. A children's game involves complying to the command 'don't think of a pink elephant'. This is almost impossible, but there is a trick you can play on yourself to succeed. What you do is think of a blue elephant instead. Similarly, your Line Manager will find it hard to stop being a Line Manager unless he has some way of filling in the role differently. Perhaps you could introduce him to the concept of 'Servant Leadership': https://www.greenleaf.org/what-is-servant-leadership/ and point out what aspects of a good manager fit inside the Scrum framework.

If you have an advanced team that are used to describing their own needs, you might consider letting your team handle it themselves. In that case, you could simply organise a retrospective in which team members tell each other what they need more of and less of from each other. I have employed a 'speed dating' retrospective in the past where each team member talks to every team member in turn, giving each one an incident, a compliment and an improvement from the last sprint. At the end everyone can name the improvements they would like to implement.

04:11 am December 29, 2015

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your extensive reply.

Yes, I know there is no LMs in Scrum Framework.

For LM empowerment, he is sings-off holidays, his inputs impact on salaries, he prepares growth plans with his reports.

From what I understand from your reply - as long as LM doesn't affect contribution of team members - it is acceptable to have a LM (in terms of organizational role) within a Scrum Team, as Scrum says nothing about team leadership. Self-organization is what matters.

On a side, I would personally prefer not to have a LM and his reports within the same team. Even if team is mature the Heisenberg's 'Uncertainty principle' could manifest itself is such setup.

Haven't heard of 'blue elephant' principle before. Sounds good, thanks!

01:00 pm December 30, 2015

Does the Line Manager recognize the importance of empowering the team, and if so can you help him?

03:32 pm December 30, 2015

Ian,

yes, he does. Good question, thanks.

08:03 am December 31, 2015

No one in the team should report to anyone in the team. All Scrum team members can report to LM but he cannot be part of the Scrum team.

Technically he may be really great now he should groom his team members to be as good as he is.

Regards
Sanjay

05:17 am January 1, 2016

Hi Sanjay,

you wrote:

No one in the team should report to anyone in the team. All Scrum team members can report to LM but he cannot be part of the Scrum team.

Is that your opinion or you refer to some scrum.org official guideline?

In both cases could you point me to the source of it?

Thanks!
Bartek

01:13 am January 4, 2016

Hey Bartek

This is my personal opinion. Based upon my personal experience if your reporting manager is in the daily stand up, team members start behaving differently, same goes for planning or retrospective meetings. If the team is reporting to PO then they will start accommodating his adhoc requirements while compromising on the Scrum process, Quality etc., if they report to SM then they will be driven by the Scrum Master compromising the self-driven principle of Scrum.

Let everyone in the team challenge and support each other.

Regards
Sanjay

04:44 am January 4, 2016

Thanks Sanjay.

I've had similar conclusions - if there is a choice, there should be no direct managers in a ST.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.