Skip to main content

Task Burndownchart

Last post 02:01 pm January 14, 2016 by Bart Clephas
2 replies
04:49 am January 14, 2016

Hello everybody,

first of all i will give you some information: we do not estimate time for each task of the story - so the focus is only on the story points for each sprint and the sprint velocity.
But i still want to create a burndwonchart about the tasks for the sprint.
For the y-axis i add up all tasks and for x-axis presents the sprint time. So i can track how many tasks we have for the sprint and when we finished the tasks.

I'm not really happy about this chart because I want to support the team with this chart but I'm not sure if it can.
Have you any ideas for this chart?

Thanks,

Mirco

10:32 am January 14, 2016

There's nothing in Scrum which says that tasks must be estimated, or indeed that tasks be used at all when forming a Sprint Backlog. They are simply a convention and estimating them is also a convention.

What is important is that transparency is provided over the work remaining in a Sprint. As the Guide says, "At any point in time in a Sprint, the total work remaining in the Sprint Backlog can be summed". Estimation of tasks is one way to facilitate this, but there are other means. One of the simplest is task counting, where the burndown merely registers each task as it is completed. In effect, each task is estimated as being 1 (unity). This can also have the advantage of encouraging a finer granularity of task planning.

02:01 pm January 14, 2016

I agree with Ian.

In my team we divide the story points based on the overall weight of the (sub)tasks. So if I have a story of say 8 points and we have discovered 5 tasks, we try to see if there are tasks that are bigger/smaller than others and divide the points say like [2 points, 3 points, 1 point, 2 points]. This allows us to see how the story is progressing batter than purely task counting.

But see what works for your team and stick with that.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.