Skip to main content

Isn’t is important for organisation to support Agile and scrum if they hired Scrum Master!?

Last post 09:55 pm December 27, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
09:51 am December 27, 2022

I have joined a new organisation as a Scrum Master last year. But Management in India is not aligned with Agile. PO who sits in USA started agile for this project. She has created team leads within teams who take decisions and commands to team what need to be done in current sprint. I am never involved in such meetings. Planning seems aggressive. 1Story points per day. Team always rolling over few story points to next sprint. When I try to convey this in scrum meeting, leads argue and being disrespectful towards me and tell me that PO has told them, I should not intervene. Below are major problems:

1. Now management is calling me in meetings and holding me responsible for roll overs. Asking me to create dashboards for each persons commitment. Agenda seems doubtful. 

2. I have observed that in any project related documents, be it design document or system requirements documents, my name as a scrum master is never mentioned. Rather my PO shows herself as Technical project leader, below her comes all leads and below all team members. 

3. Lots of swapping of team members by PO without any reason. She never talks to me unless there is some mess in team. 

I am confused, annoyed by leads, PO and management behaviour, so do they really need Scrum Master or not? If they are really going Agile? 

This is my first Agile project, earlier was working as Project manager in different company. 

09:55 pm December 27, 2022

do they really need Scrum Master or not? 

It sounds like they've failed to understand Scrum, so yes they need a Scrum Master. A Scrum Master manages what people have in their heads about the framework. That's a tall order, managing what people think, but nevertheless it is what you need to do.

You should also bear in mind that it is easier for an organization to change its Scrum Master than it is for an organization to change itself. Find out who wants Scrum in this company, is prepared to sponsor change, and is willing to create, communicate and reinforce a sense of urgency for different outcomes.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.