Skip to main content

Bachelor Thesis Scrum

Last post 03:38 pm March 12, 2016 by chris christancuvic
4 replies
09:42 am February 13, 2016

Hello,

Im about to write my Bachelor Thesis about Scrum in Maintenance Phase.
The books i read by now dont mention much about Scrum in Maintenance Phase, some say that its better to switch to Kanban.
Do you know good books... articles... about scrum in maintenance phase?
Do you have experiences about scrum in maintenance phase?
Thanks for your help

chris

11:14 am February 18, 2016

The Scrum Guide is the essential reference. By referring to that document, ask yourself whether or not a "maintenance phase" makes sense in Scrum. How would the "maintenance" work be identified and planned? What are the implications for events, roles, and artefacts? Would the way of working be fundamentally different?

07:15 pm February 18, 2016

Without going into too much details, I have led multiple teams supporting a brand new live system in the past.

We started off with weekly sprints however moved to a Scrumban model due to the need to allow for newly identified critical issues being brought in asap thus changing the goal and rendering sprint inert (had originally thought about reducing sprint even smaller however went for a mixed approach instead).

We would have daily scrum, retros and review for fixes produced per week cycle however the backlog was worked through dynamically.

Inspecting and adapting was key to finding a process that worked well.

07:35 pm February 18, 2016

I think Ian's answer (as usual) is very good and thought provoking as the need for the situation I was working in was from teams not properly keeping to a good level of quality within the sprint and being more focused on quantity over quality leading to major issues being identified in production.

Really, working across multiple sites, it is something seen quite alot where some true values haven't been adopted by the organisations and the desire to push to unrealistic timescales with a none dynamic scope has led to a decrease in quality, although the teams are doing the motions they have not adopted the principles (I like to refer to this as zombie scrum).

03:38 pm March 12, 2016

Thank you. For your replies.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.