Skip to main content

Reward and Punishment in Scrum

Last post 04:14 pm January 24, 2023 by Chuck Suscheck
2 replies
04:12 pm January 22, 2023

Hi

I am new to scrum.

I am a developer and our technical manager treats developers based on their low or high story points, which makes teamwork meaningless. Is the purpose of points to verify the developer?

We have a planning meeting before the start of the week and we all determine the story points. Everyone gives story points according to their own experience, and the points are in favor of experienced developers, because they give little story points to tasks, but the majority of the team gives more story points to tasks. and therefore the task is determined with a higher point. So the technical manager comes to the conclusion that whoever has more story point has a higher level in the team and should get more salary.

I am confused...

11:44 pm January 23, 2023

Is the purpose of points to verify the developer?

I'd suggest that their purpose is to help the Developers get their arms around how much work they can collectively take on in a Sprint. Everything else reduces to value delivery and empirical process control.

Does that "manager" have a different view? Why do they care about estimates at all? What kind of behaviours are they trying to incentivise, and why?

04:14 pm January 24, 2023

I just wrote a blog that addresses some of these questions:  https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/story-points-are-not-problem-velocity

If you really want to reward (or punish) developers, you may need some way to see if an individual developer is fostering teamwork, growing those around them, delivering value as a team (not individual), and participating in self-organization.  There's probably a few more but if a developer is making team dynamics and effectiveness poor, that developer needs to be coached (not punished).  If a developer is shortcutting quality and value in favor of speed and individualism, the developer needs some coaching. Coaching can be something the developers do, which would foster better self organization. 

The effectiveness measures I just listed are hard to come up with.  Using story points to measure individuals is a very poor metric but it doesn't require much thought - just a lazy surface glance.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.