Skip to main content

Project Deliverables in Scrum/ Relation to other approaches

Last post 07:15 am April 4, 2016 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
06:53 am April 1, 2016

Hello,

im relatively new to scrum. I'm about to conduct a Project wherin a ERP Software component will be implemented. Can i use Scrum for this type of Project? It's not real Software development, its more configuration, customization, a bit programming. The Project has also deliver specific documents.

I want to use Scrum since i have a fix time Frame but my scope is just 60% "must have". I also like the thought of not having hard phases (for example we want to work on specific Features first).

But yes, its not real Software development and the documents also have to be created - but i have the Feeling that i cant maintain the documents in the product backlog? Since its often disribed as a list of all Features.

The last year i have worked a lot with PMBOK and PRINCE2. I'm currently a bit confused about Relations.

Hope you understood what my Problem is, or how i think - if not just ask!

Thank you!

11:24 am April 2, 2016

- Have you read the values and principles defined in the agile manifesto? Do you think if you and the team would be able to adhere to most, if not all, of those values and principles?

- Have you read the Scrum guide? Do you think you can implement the events and follow the rules as defined by the framework?

- Are other iterative and incremental approaches like RUP a better fit for your work?

Most teams, even those that do complex product development, usually end up adopting only the easiest parts of the Scrum framework in the absence of org. support, proper coaching and mentoring and an effective PM/SM.

These are some of the questions/factors I will consider before deciding on the approach that's fit for the project at hand.

10:44 am April 3, 2016

Yes indeed you can and I do know many companies which provide COTS (ERP/CRM) solutions whereby they use Scrum. Alternative is also to use Kanban or even a Scrum/Kanban combination...

With regards to Prince2 (I'm a P2 practitioner as well) - my view is that this can fit and work well with Scrum... It did in my previous job whereby P2 was used as a wrapper (startup/initiation and closure of a project) whereby the execution phase used scrum if that makes sense...

Hope that helps and good luck with your project!

05:14 am April 4, 2016

No one other than you and your team knows the best about the project and tasks to be done. Assuming you guys have a good understanding of Scrum framework, please evaluate its implementation w.r.t. your situation and make a decision accordingly.

07:15 am April 4, 2016

> Can i use Scrum for this type of Project? It's not real Software
> development, its more configuration, customization, a bit programming.
> The Project has also deliver specific documents.

If the Development Team can articulate a Definition of Done which they are able to meet, then yes Scrum can be used.

Whether or not it should be used depends upon having a Product Owner who values incremental delivery, each and every Sprint.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.