Skip to main content

Interview Practical Exercise

Last post 02:13 am May 7, 2016 by Ramakrishnan Subramanian
1 reply
06:26 am April 9, 2016

Hello,
I have an interview coming this week and they have set a hypothetical practical exercise where one of their clients is experiencing a problem with their app and for the candidate to present a suitable solution to improve user experience given various technical constraints. I'm wondering how the problem could be approached - tools, exercises, deliverables, check-lists, etc.

Ordinarily I would list and prioritize the biggest pain points and business risks and then work with the team to brainstorm possible solutions and work through each to determine our collective, best approach. From there I'd work through technical feasibility and implementation which would naturally initiate development once we are all happy to go ahead. I think it's safe to say that they are looking for more rigour in the approach and I'm wondering what they may be looking for.

Any help would be much appreciated!

02:13 am May 7, 2016

Hi,

The interview could be subjective ( where people might expect a right answer as per their expectations) - but i would consider adding an approach where one of the interviewer's volunteers as a client where you effectively whiteboard challenges with the product, build a product backlog as a starting point

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.