Skip to main content

Meetings on a Topic

Last post 09:53 pm February 8, 2023 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
06:36 pm February 8, 2023

Hi All, 

Is it a good idea to capture the hours spend on Meeting to solve a problem. 

A bar chat that shows the analysis of a individual with hours spent on meetings, developement, business interaction 

08:11 pm February 8, 2023

It seems unlikely. Perhaps it would be better to time-box the meeting to begin with, and accrue empirical evidence about whether or not the problem is actually solved.

08:21 pm February 8, 2023

Instead of thinking about the vague concept of "good idea", it would be better to think about things like if capturing this information would be valuable, how the value compares to the time and effort to collect and format, who would be receiving it, and how they intend to use it.

Personally, I don't see the value in collecting this data and any time or effort spent would not be worth it, so I couldn't consider it a good idea. But your environment and context may be different.

09:53 pm February 8, 2023

I agree with @Ian and @Thomas.  Since all of the things you list are part of "doing the job" to deliver software, I see little value in gathering that data.  Would you consider gathering the number of times an individual used the backspace or delete key on their keyboard?  I doubt that would be a useful metric to gather.  The ones you mention seem just as unuseful to me. 

Also, why would you gather any individual metrics when the Scrum framework is built around a Scrum Team?  The team is striving to deliver usable increments of value each Sprint.  Any metric you gather should be focused on the team and not the individuals.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.