Skip to main content

About planning in Scrum ?

Last post 11:29 am May 10, 2016 by Timothy Baffa
6 replies
12:01 am May 9, 2016

Hi everybody !!!
- I have a trouble in project management by SCRUM, I hope everybody help me solve it, thanks alot
- When can I make plan and estimate general of entire project ? Becuase I must to give information about deadline and cost of project to customer as soon as possible, I can not make plan and estimate in begin of each sprint so I don't know duration of project

12:47 pm May 9, 2016

Thinh,

Your inquiry leads to many more questions that in my mind need to be answered/addressed:

1) How many team(s) will be working on the project?

2) How long are the sprints?

3) How long have the team(s) been working together? Does each team have an established velocity based on previous sprints?

4) What does the DoD look like for the team(s)? Is there work needed outside of the sprint for production release?

5) Has the project scope been identified? Has this scope been broken down into items that the team(s) feel can be completed according to the DoD within a sprint?

6) Have the team(s) estimated the project items?

7) Have the project items been prioritized in order (must have's, nice-to-have's)?

This is only the beginning of the information and preparation you would need in order to begin forecasting a potential delivery date.

I look forward to your response.

04:23 pm May 9, 2016

> When can I make plan and estimate general of
> entire project ? Becuase I must to give
> information about deadline and cost of project
> to customer as soon as possible,

Where is the desire to use Scrum coming from on this project? Who wants to use it and why?

10:31 pm May 9, 2016

I want to forecast how long project will be, so that I can answer deadline to customer

10:32 pm May 9, 2016

Thanks Timothy !!!

11:28 am May 10, 2016

It may be useful to you to have a look at burndown (or burn up) charts. If you have an idea of the number of story points in the release and the average velocity of the team you can then project an end date. That being said if you're looking at being more accurate on end etc then you may wind up having to descope some story points (or with luck bring extra in!)

Either way I'd suggest a look at burndowns and sites such as https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/agile/scrum/release-burndown

11:29 am May 10, 2016

Thinh,

Following Ian's point, what is your motivation for using Scrum to forecast the project?

Also, can you provide answers to the questions that I posed to you?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.