Skip to main content

It is easier to get a Product Owner position than a Scrum Master Position without any experience?

Last post 06:24 pm April 11, 2023 by Oliver Flaggl
4 replies
01:43 pm March 29, 2023

Greetings Everyone,

I just received my CSM certificate about a month ago. I noticed that there are few Scrum Master positions being offered and all of them want years of experience. 

Is it easier to land a Product Owner position without experience?  

I'm opened to getting a Product Owner certification if that is the case.

Any direction or advice is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jeff

09:32 pm March 29, 2023

Agile and Scrum is empirical process

I am not sure how you got your certificate(which I am not intended to receive), but "without experience" actually disqualifies you as a truly competitive Scrum master or Product owner.

As a first step of coaching you into Agile mentality I kindly ask you to google "empiricism" 

By the way when I am coaching Agile team I am always starting explanation not with Toyota, Kanban or Agile manifesto, but asking everyone to take step back into ancient Greece and understand the idea of empiricism.

11:50 pm March 29, 2023

Hi Nicholas,

I applied your reply. I'm don't understand it though. I do understand that empiricism is learning by experience.  However, I'm looking for advise to get the ball rolling to get that experience.  

Kindly,

Jeff

06:59 pm March 30, 2023

Well, entering the field of play, where more experinced players are kicking the ball is a first step to get actual PERSONAL experience how to do things MOST SUITABLE for your character, education and skills.

06:24 pm April 11, 2023

What prior work experience, education, and skills do you have? Both roles have been created with an experienced person in mind. At the very least, a Scrum Master should have good people skills, and a Product Owner needs to know the domain. Leadership skills are beneficial for both. You don't need a certificate for either (some companies may want that, though).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.