Skip to main content

Scrum for 1 team with multiple different projects/apps

Last post 02:19 pm April 19, 2023 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
11:59 am April 18, 2023

Our team is relatively small, we are 3 people working on creating various integrations/extensions for a product.

The extensions are also very diverse covering different topics and so the requirements are different for each of them. Additionally of course after rolling out a v1 which is mostly an MVP we look into the user feedback and extend the functionality so then there is a version 2, 3, etc.

Now I am asking myself how to deal with this situation or if there are any references I can read on how to help the team with organization and productivity. Also especially how to best work with epics, user stories, etc. 

Right now I think the team is doing fine but we are growing and I think the complexity will rise and the approach we are currently taking will not be scalable. 

Thank you in advance for any tips and hints :) 

10:07 pm April 18, 2023

Scrum is a framework which might be used to scaffold the things you are doing. As a starting point, has the Scrum Guide proven to be of much help?

02:19 pm April 19, 2023

+1 for @Ian

You never mentioned if you are using Scrum already.  I'm going to assume you are not or you would have mentioned it.  Is there a desire from the organization to incorporate Scrum? Is the organization willing to change to make the Scrum adoption successful?  I ask all of this because you posted in a Scrum forum so I'm also assuming that you are looking for Scrum guidance. 

I would focus more on learning the Scrum framework before I started delving into User Stories.  I have found it easier to understand Scrum if you concentrate on what is in the Scrum Guide.  Since User Stories are not even mentioned, they are not part of Scrum.  Personally, I advocate against them because they tend to cause more confusion than they are worth.  

Get one thing clear in your head at a time.  Start with the Scrum framework and then move to something else. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.