Skip to main content

Daily Scrum and PO

Last post 07:40 pm August 12, 2016 by Doug Purcell
3 replies
06:11 am August 3, 2016

Hi,

My question is: Could PO attend (not participate) the daily Scrum?
First of all: is there difference between "attend" and "participate" at the Scrum Guide context?

Ok, I know, there is a lot of articles talking about this.

BUT, at the Scrum.Org assessment, what should I answer? Let's suppose in the PSM I ou PSM II, what's the right answer?

IF the PO can't attend (listen mode), which are the reasons? Because the agility and Scrum advocate for transparency.

regards,

Carlos

06:21 am August 3, 2016

Sorry, there is a active topic about daily scrum.

11:54 am August 12, 2016

According to the scrum guide, the PO does not need to attend the daily scrum, same holds for the SM.

However, as a PO i attend the daily scrum as often as possible and like the developers I give very short updates on my activities. It is good to know about the progress and issues the team experiences and sometimes stakeholders have questions in between about progress. Also it can be useful to clarify about ongoing issues or the PO can help to solve priority issues right away. So many good reasons to attend, but as a PO you need to know your place as a guest in the daily.

For the assessments the correct answer is that PO and SM do not need to attend the daliy. The SM has a role to make sure the daily happens and is functional.

07:40 pm August 12, 2016

Hi Carlos, the correct answer to the question will depend on the context.

It’s possible for the Product Owner to have a dual role and be a Product Owner and part of the Development Team. Therefore, if they are then they should attend and participate in the Daily Scrum. However, if the Product Owner is not part of the Development Team then according to the Scrum rules they should not attend or participate.

I like to refer to the Daily Scrum as a meeting for the developers by the developers. The Scrum Master is the guardian of Scrum for the team and teaches everyone how to apply it which includes running events like the Daily Scrum. They’re a servant-leader and should not attend or participate in the Daily Scrum or less they’re also part of the Development Team.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.