Skip to main content

When a user story is obsolete (not in scope anymore), should we still call it a backlog item? (I don't want to delete that item, because we want it for a reference)

Last post 03:29 pm June 28, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
4 replies
10:31 am June 27, 2023

08:19 am June 28, 2023

Per Scrum Guide: "The Product Backlog is an emergent, ordered list of what is needed to improve the product."

So, if the US is no longer needed to improve the product it is no longer a part of the Product Backlog. You might keep it in some other bucked if you need it for anything.

10:39 am June 28, 2023

A user story is a placeholder for a conversation about a potential requirement. If you need to expend time and effort referencing an unnecessary conversation, ask why. That's the problem to be solved.

03:12 pm June 28, 2023

I'm going to assume you are using some kind of application to maintain your backlogs.  My answer is from that perspective.

What the teams I have worked with in the past would do is move the obsolete story to "done" with comments on why it is obsolete and why they would refer back to it in the future.  Some tools let you define multiple status to "done".  You can create a status of "Canceled" or "Won't Do" or "Obsolete" or anything else that makes sense to your organization.  That removes it from being active in the backlog but still retains it in the database. 

Now having given you a way to deal with it in your tool, I echo @Ian's thoughts.  What kind of "reference" material will this item be used for?  And why is it considered obsolete? Those are questions you may want to get answers to so that you can better deal with this in future.

03:29 pm June 28, 2023

If PBI is useful for reference then it has SOME use.

Anyway if you are PO its entirely up to you to decide, and there are NO rules (including Scrum guide),only suggestions.

If you want to keep it, keep it.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.