Skip to main content

SCALED SCRUM qns

Last post 06:12 pm November 30, 2016 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
07:25 am October 8, 2016

1. Can you please let me know what does this mean: Colocated PO?
2. Is the PO of the integration team in nexus the same as the PO of the individual scrum teams (considering there is a single product)?
3. Do the individual scrum team sprint planning a separate event included in spite of nexus sprint planning?

10:04 am November 27, 2016

Hi,

(1) .I asked myself the same question and found a nice explanation on https://www.scrumalliance.org/community/articles/2010/april/common-prod… (The Distant Product Owner)
(NOTE: Wording etc. does not correlate the current 2016 scrum Guide)

As per now, my understanding is "locally available": Means physically on the same place as the rest of the scrum team.
Of cource the PO can be unreachable although perhaps sitting in the same room when he just would not take the time to speak with Dev Team etc but changes to collaborate are higher when on same place.
Imagine only the problem when being in different time zones. Perhaps than you "share" only e.g. 4 hours a day of your regular working time only due to time zone...

(2) One Product = One Product Backlog = one Product Owner
Scrum Guide "The Product Owner is one person, not a committee"
Nexus "A Nexus works off a single Product Backlog, and as described in the Scrum framework, a Product Backlog has a single Product Owner who has the final say on its contents. [...] The Product Owner is in the Nexus Integration Team."
Therefore PO of the individual Scrum Teams is the same as for Integration Team."

(3) The individual Teams has a Sprint Planning,
Im am not sure, but per my understanding the Sprint Planing of the individual Teams is included in the Nexus Sprint Planning. Nexus says " All members of the Scrum Teams should participate to minimize communication issues" +"Nexus Sprint Planning is complete when each Scrum Team **has finished their individual Sprint Planning events.** "

NOTE: I am not an expert but as I found answers in the Guides I assume them to be correct. @Everybody: Please correct me if I said something wrong!

05:08 pm November 30, 2016

(3) This can be found in the Nexus Guide. The Nexus Sprint Planning begins with key developers from each Development Team with the Nexus Integration Team creating the Nexus Sprint Backlog and the Nexus Goal. This includes identifying the Development Teams that will take each of the items into their own Sprint Backlog. The teams then individually meet for their own Sprint Planning, affirming (or challenging) the items suggested for their Sprint Backlog. Once their Sprint Backlog is settled, they craft their Sprint Goal (aligned with the Nexus Goal, of course), and align their work sequence as needed with the other teams to ensure they can have a successful continuous integration.

06:12 pm November 30, 2016

> NOTE: I am not an expert but as I found answers in the Guides I assume
> them to be correct. @Everybody: Please correct me if I said something wrong!

I think you provide a good summary, and a fair analysis of how the material ought to be interpreted.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.