Skip to main content

Scrum Masters Notice Period

Last post 03:58 pm November 30, 2016 by Tony Moran
4 replies
11:21 am November 24, 2016

Hi guys
Our employer (UK) is just changing the terms of employment for all staff.
My notice period has gone up from 1 month to 3 months.
Can anybody provide feedback on their notice periods please? I'm just trying to work out whether 1 month or 3 months is the norm.
Thanks
Tony

07:03 am November 29, 2016

Hi Tony,

I assume that it's both ways...

I have seen anything between 1 day to 2 to 6 weeks. Three months is unusual but at least your safe when they decide to pull the plug on a project your working on...

01:26 pm November 30, 2016

20 working days

03:34 pm November 30, 2016

> Three months is unusual but at least your safe when they decide
> to pull the plug on a project your working on...

Alas this is not necessarily the case. In my experience these arrangements are not always reciprocal, and the employer may only offer a statutory minimum period of notice.

It might be a good idea to check on that. Personally I'd consider an imbalanced contract to be an issue, rather than the length of notice itself.

03:58 pm November 30, 2016

Thanks guys.
The three months is for both parties.
However, the underlying issue is that when I came on board in April 2015 I was the first full-time Scrum Master. I was told others would follow. Over 18 months on I'm still the lone full-time certified SM (We do have 2 other certified SMs but they have been employed under development or test roles).
Your input is most welcome.
Thanks again.
Tony

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.