Skip to main content

Sprint Planning participants

Last post 03:40 pm January 30, 2017 by Pankaj Chitriv
5 replies
09:23 pm January 25, 2017

Hi, I noticed a contradiction regarding the Spring Planning between the Scrum Guide and the Agile Software Development with Scrum book, also partly written by Ken Schwaber, and I would like to know which one is correct.

In the Scrum guide:
"This plan is created by the collaborative work of the entire Scrum Team".
As defined in the guide, the Scrum team consists of the Scrum Master, the Product Owner, and the Development Team.

In the Agile Software Development with Scrum book:
"Customers, users, management, the Product Owner and the Scrum Team determine the next Sprint goal and functionality at the Spring Planning meeting."

The usage of the "Scrum Team" in the book seems a little off, since it already includes the Scrum Master and the Product Owner, as mentioned in the Guide. However, I am more curious to know about the presence of the customers, users and management to the Sprint Planning meeting.
Can they assist to it?
Should they assist to it?
Can they participate to it?

Thank you

12:13 am January 26, 2017

> I am more curious to know about the presence of the customers, users
> and management to the Sprint Planning meeting.
> Can they assist to it?
> Should they assist to it?
> Can they participate to it?

They may very well have stakeholder interests in the value delivered, but those interests ought to be represented by the Product Owner in Sprint Planning.

If there's ever any doubt about the meaning of the Scrum Framework then you should always go by what the Scrum Guide says.

02:19 pm January 26, 2017

This answers my question.

Thank you Ian

12:02 pm January 27, 2017

Nevertheless we're missing a point here: why have different meanings in something Scrum.org defines as a reference in Scrum study?

That's why I don't even read any other doc/book besides Scrum Guide when having my PSM...

Regards.

03:39 pm January 27, 2017

Posted By Marcos Goncalves on 27 Jan 2017 12:02 PM
Nevertheless we're missing a point here: why have different meanings in something Scrum.org defines as a reference in Scrum study?

That's why I don't even read any other doc/book besides Scrum Guide when having my PSM...

Regards.

Reminds me of this article:

http://pragmaticleader.net/2010/03/15/601the-real-danger-for-scrum/

03:40 pm January 30, 2017

Scrum master to play important role here to limit the audience and visitors especially in Sprint Planning session as the visitors might just distract the team, unless product Owner invites them and has full control over them.

Customers, users and management etc. are welcome and can be invited to Sprint Review meeting, rather than Sprint Planning so that they can see the product and provide feedback. They can work offline with Product Owner providing their requirements outside Sprint Planning meeting.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.