Skip to main content

Confusion question in mock text - help needed!

Last post 04:11 pm March 6, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
7 replies
03:28 pm February 1, 2017

Hello,

I was doing mock test from mlapshin, and there was this question:

Imagine you are a Scrum Master. There are 10 professional (developers and QA) and the Product Owner. How to distribute people between development teams? Choose all applicable variants:

1) 1 team of 10 people (because there is no reason to divide)

2) 2 teams of 6 and 4 people (the professionals after a short meeting decided this is the best variant)

3) 2 teams of 6 and 4 people (because it is good to have all the QAs in a separate team)

4) 3 teams of 4,3 and 3 people (each team is cross-functional)

And the correct answers are 2 and 4.

However, I disagree with 4th answer. After reading the Nexus guide, it became really clear that with more teams there is more complexity: "If they work in different teams, how will they integrate
their work and test the Integrated Increment? These challenges appear when two teams are
integrating, and become significantly more difficult with three or more teams."

So, why is the answer 4 correct if 3 teams creates more complexity? I'd just choose (2) - I don't see any other correct answers here.

Anyone has a different insight?

06:45 pm February 1, 2017

I'd agree that 2 is the least worst answer. This is the one that comes closest to having a professional self-organizing team.

4 can be challenged for the reasons you describe, but mainly because it does not seem to involve any self-organization.

06:22 pm February 18, 2017

Why do you thing 3 teams creates more complexity? They are cross-functional and can, for sure, deliver a releasable increment of done product. The question here is: if you need to distribute, what are the possible teams that conform to the scrum rules! Answer 4 says, you end up with three "valid" scrum team, they are small but conform to the rules. 

01:04 am March 1, 2017

This is how we view this question and the answers. Nexus is used for multiple scrum teams working on the same product and it complements Scrum. But it does not violate any scrum rule. 

Answer 1 is wrong because you cannot have more than 9 team members in one Scrum Team.

Answer 2 is aligned with Scrum and hence is a correct answer.

Answer 3 is wrong we do not separate scrum teams by role. A scrum team with just QA persons is not a Scrum team because it is not cross-functional.

Answer 4 is does not break any Scrum rules. While it is true that more teams is equivalent to more integration and coordination effort, this is not always a bad thing. Product backlog management in Nexus focuses on removing or minimizing integration effort. So having three teams is not necessarily a bad thing. Another way of looking at this answer is - would you have a team that breaks a Scrum rule (answer 3) or have a team configuration that does not break Scrum rules but may be more complicated to manage? I would go with answer 4.

08:49 am March 2, 2017

Why do we think that Ans# 1 is wrong, Scrum doesn't force to have team between 3-9, it is just  a recommendation, isn't it?

02:03 am March 4, 2017

Agree that it is just a recommendation. I was going by the principle of elimination to choose between options 1 and 4. 1 is not fully aligned with Scrum Guide whereas 4 is acceptable with the assumption that dependencies and integration issues are managed. So 1 seems "less" correct to me as compared to 4. 

03:57 pm March 4, 2017

Hi Experts ,

I am preparing for PSM1 and have the below Question.  Kindly clarify.

From the Scrum Guide "Inspections are most beneficial when diligently performed by Skilled Inspectors at the point of work"

Are skilled inspectors part of the Scrum team or can be from outside the scrum team. Pls clarify ? Thank you

04:11 pm March 6, 2017

A Scrum Development Team should have all of the skills necessary to create a product increment, including the inspection and adaptation of work in progress. However, "skilled inspector" is not a role or sub-role. Inspection is work that needs doing, and multiple Development Team Members may be skilled enough to perform it.

Note that if it is possible for inspection to be automated either in whole or in part, a team may choose to do so.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.