Skip to main content

Evaluation of: 1)Scrum Team, 2)Scrum Master, 3)Product Owner, 4)Developer

Last post 07:24 pm September 27, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
5 replies
08:52 am September 18, 2023

Hello all,

In the context of Agile and Scrum,

1 - how a Scrum Team should be evaluated?

2 - how a Scrum Master of a Scrum Team should be evaluated?

3 - how a Product Owner of a Scrum Team should be evaluated? 

4 - how a Developer of a Scrum Team should be evaluated?

(p.s. evaluation could be done from the company or a manager or anyone else; this might be answered from a "performance" and/or "effectiveness" point of view)

Thank you very much in advance for your insights!

11:09 am September 18, 2023

The core metric for evaluating a Scrum Team is the value delivered to the customer. Are they consistently delivering potentially shippable increments at the end of each Sprint?

12:39 pm September 18, 2023

Why would they be evaluated? What's gone wrong with value delivery which would make such a practice necessary?

12:47 pm September 18, 2023

Other than value delivery, I don't think that there is a universal evaluation metric or rubric that you can use for teams. I'd also discourage the evaluation of individuals on their own.

Every Sprint, the Scrum Team should be delivering value to the stakeholders. If they are not delivering value or if there are questions about whether the value is sufficient to justify the cost of the team for the Sprint, then additional questions can be asked to understand what is impeding the delivery of value. Some of these questions may focus on the role of the Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Developers on the team and how the people doing these types of activities interact. But the first question should always be about delivering value to stakeholders and if the people funding the effort are satisfied, then there may not be a need to dig deeper.

03:10 am September 26, 2023

As Devocht rightly said "the core metric for evaluating a Scrum Team is the value delivered to the customer" which is the goal of every Scrum team to deliver value. In my own opinion, if evaluation is to take place it should be base on the positive reviews and feedback from the customers and stakeholders.

07:24 pm September 27, 2023

I think I have answered this number of time but please allow me to do it once again

Evidence based management, one of the greatest releases of Scrum org is actual answer

Particularly the "current value" section, where "revenue per employee" can is suggested

Also please avoid dividing Scrum teams responsibilities to PO, SM and developers.

The whole Scrum team is responsible for delivering increment of value, without splitting responsibilities apart.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.