Skip to main content

Split stories as late as possible

Last post 07:31 pm September 27, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
3 replies
03:25 am September 26, 2023

Hi everyone.

I was reading about how to write user-stories and came across a section where it mentioned that one of the best ways to manage dependencies between stories is to "Split as late as possible until the last responsible moment".

I understand the concepts of "last responsible moment" and why we should defer adding details (acceptance criteria and splitting stories) until we are about to start work on a story (like 1 to 2 weeks before starting work on the story).

What I am not able to understand is how does "Split as late as possible" can help avoid dependencies. Can someone please help me understand how this works? Thank You

06:51 pm September 26, 2023

What I am not able to understand is how does "Split as late as possible" can help avoid dependencies.

It doesn't. It helps you manage them. Their resolution is essentially ignored until the last responsible moment. In other words, time and effort is not expended on resolving dependencies precociously, when requirements might be further refined and their dependencies are most likely to change, or retired from the Product Backlog altogether. You're helping to avoid overproduction (refining too much too early), one of the 7 mudas or lean wastes.

Bear in mind however that the last responsible moment may be sooner than you think, especially with external dependencies (e.g. suppliers) which have to be lined up with sufficient notice to do certain work.

06:57 pm September 27, 2023

Thankyou Ian

07:31 pm September 27, 2023

Thanks for a great response Ian, I have one small remark about dependencies: it is impossible to illuminate ALL dependencies in Scrum team even in theory. You can only MANAGE them as Ian said.

So don't exhaust yourself trying to fight all dependencies, just treat them as the natural phenomena and do your best to manage them for a teams benefit

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.