Skip to main content

User Story without direct business value

Last post 02:18 pm March 28, 2017 by Marlies van Heek
5 replies
02:43 pm February 13, 2017

While grooming an User Story we came to the conclusion that it should be divided in 2 stories, otherwise the story would cost too much points.

STORIES AFTER SPLIT
A. As an technical analyst I want the development team to collect data, so I they can show it to me by realising the next story:

B. As an technical analyst I want to be able to analyse certain data, so I can recognise technical problems with parts of our product and take action to prevent problems.

QUESTIONS
1. Story A and B will be delivered in the same sprint. Had it been better not to split the story at all and just give it a massive amount of points?
2. Isn't this weird, story A does not have any business value without delivering story B
3. Should the stakeholder in A be replaced by "development team"?

Curious what your thoughts are :)

04:35 pm February 13, 2017

Why doesn't item A provide any value to the Product Owner? If data is gathered, is there really no value in it unless item B is implemented?

Remember that with many MVP's the elicitation of data to confirm or repute an hypothesis actually *is* the value.

Value may include statistics, metrics, the early establishment of a useful historical record, or the ability to support an informed manual intervention.

10:08 am February 14, 2017

Can we divide it vertically wherein each item includes data collection and analysis both but may be a part of the overall Data structure.

Each consecutive User Story can have analysis to be done on top of the completed data analysis from the previous User Story or Sprint. This will result in the Integrated Increment.

02:01 pm March 8, 2017

We've looked into Sanjay's solution, but the dev-team did decide that it had too much 'rework' involved.

Ian's comment on MVP's did the trick though. I was not familiar with MVP and had to look it up. It helped me explaining the 'business value' of story A.

06:48 pm March 13, 2017

@Ian - What is MVP....?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.