Skip to main content

IS the certfication "Scrum Developer Professional" is intended only for software developers ?

Last post 08:43 pm October 12, 2023 by David Sabine
2 replies
01:37 pm October 3, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm a data engineer, and I'm interested in obtaining the Scrum Developer Professional certification. I have prepared for the exam, but while reviewing the material, I noticed that there are questions related to software development, which I don't have much experience with. I'm wondering if this certification is primarily intended for software developers. If it's not, could you please clarify why there are questions about software development? Alternatively, could this be a mistake, and the exam focus solely on Scrum concepts?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Best regards,

09:03 am October 5, 2023

The certification is shortened to Professional Scrum Developer, but it is about Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development covering a broad range of software development topics and techniques...

You also have demonstrated your knowledge of self-managed development, design and architecture, documentation, programming, quality, testing, forecasting and release planning, and product value as you apply Scrum to deliver valuable software products.

The associate course name includes Software in the title, making it a bit clearer: Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development

Is it only intended for software developers? I did it as a Scrum Master to enhance my knowledge of software development practices to help serve teams. I do have a programming background which helped, but my accountability when doing it wasn't developer. I found value in it.

The exam is not solely Scrum topics. From the write up on the exam (see first link above), it states only approximately 15% of questions will relate to Scrum. The rest will be about software development practices. 

Does this help?

08:43 pm October 12, 2023

Hi,

Ryan covered most of your question, I think. But I'll add that the Applying Professional Scrum course is offered in two formats: one for software developers specifically, and another for non-coders.

The 1st format can be considered a path toward the PSD I certification.

The 2nd format can be considered a path to the PSM I certification.

It should be noted that participants in Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development will write code throughout the course.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.