Skip to main content

I empowered the Dev Team, now I'm afraid of the decisions they are taking

Last post 04:14 am March 8, 2017 by Sanjay Saini
5 replies
06:16 am March 3, 2017

I stepped aside as technical director and gave full authority and responsability  to the dev team on technical decisions.

Dev team seems to me very responsible  and skilled. However they immediately decided for a rewrite from scratch of our software, and for a completely different technology that they never used.

I'm a bit scared of following this path. If we fail it will be an horrible mistake.

Am I doing something very dangerous?

07:49 am March 3, 2017

> I'm a bit scared of following this path. If we fail it

> will be an horrible mistake.

> Am I doing something very dangerous?

Of course you are. That's precisely why you need to time-box and control the risk in Sprints.

The PO should have an understanding of risk appetite, and of what empirical evidence is needed to mitigate it.

09:23 am March 3, 2017

Also when we talk about empowering and allowing teams to self-organize, they should but within a boundary. We cannot allow a self organizing team to convert a Banking business into an E-commerce.

05:14 pm March 3, 2017

I stepped aside as technical director and gave full authority and responsability  to the dev team on technical decisions.

Dev team seems to me very responsible  and skilled. However they immediately decided for a rewrite from scratch of our software, and for a completely different technology that they never used.

I'm a bit scared of following this path. If we fail it will be an horrible mistake.

Yes, it seems to me that you're doing a very dangerous team. Is there a reason you're giving the responsibility to the dev team to rewrite your software? And why are you accepting a technology the team has never used? Is there any historical data of the success of this new technology? You need to mitigate the risk involved in doing this as well.

07:41 pm March 3, 2017

but within a boundary

=> Which kind of boundary? By which mean(s)?

04:14 am March 8, 2017

With in a Sprint, the Sprint Goal sets the boundary. For a product, its Product Backlog and Vision sets the boundary

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.