Skip to main content

Should Sprints synchronized for multiple teams or not ?

Last post 03:12 pm June 2, 2022 by Dewi Clements
12 replies
07:03 pm March 6, 2017

Could you give me some clarification on this topic. I don't find a answer in Scrum / Nexus Guide.

In Mplaza

The output created by each team should be potentially releasable, and then they will be packaged into one integrated Increment.

This means that each Product Backlog item would be handled by one team, and each team should be cross-functional.

Teams start and finish their Sprints in the same time to reduce complexity.

Learning ModeMikhail Lapshin

Scrum does not require having aligned Sprints for multiple teams.

So what is the correct answer ?

Thanks.

01:50 am March 7, 2017

The Sprints for Scrum Teams in a Nexus should come into alignment regularly, and thus enable a Nexus Sprint to be observed.

07:52 am March 7, 2017

OK thanks but I need some more details

SO

1) One question/answer  in site "Learning ModeMikhail Lapshin"  is wrong

2) What does alignement mean exactly?:

Teams start and finish their Sprints in the same time ...

so Sprint length is the same ... or simply the end date should be synchronized?

Isabelle

03:28 pm March 7, 2017

Sprint lengths don't have to be the same, but the boundaries should align. For example a team might reasonably conduct 2 Sprints of 2 weeks within a Nexus 4 week Sprint, but a 3 week team Sprint would be less feasible as it would not articulate to the Nexus cadence.

06:09 pm March 7, 2017

Thanks  a lot ! It is very clear.

02:15 pm August 27, 2018

Hello Isabelle, thanks for bringing up this topic. I had exactly the same confusion from these 2 different sources.

Hello Ian, thanks for your explanation, but i still have some doubts from your example. Let me try and get this clarified for myself.

From your example: a team might reasonably conduct 2 Sprints of 2 weeks within a Nexus 4 week Sprint, but a 3 week team Sprint would be less feasible

What if both the teams had equal no. of. sprints i.e. Team A & Team B = 2 sprints each but the length of the sprints between the 2 teams varies like Team A has individual sprint length of 2 weeks but Team B has shorter sprints than Team A (1 week).

In this case will Team B wait for Team A to finish their Sprint to do their Nexus sprint review together?

04:30 pm August 27, 2018

The Scrum Guide says: “A new Sprint starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous Sprint.”

In the situation you describe, Team B will complete two 1-week Sprints for each 2-week Sprint of Team A. There can be no gaps and no waiting for any team. However there’s nothing to stop Team B from using alternate Sprints to work on a different product, if doing so maximizes value delivery.

Assuming they each work on the same product for at least one Sprint, wouldn’t it be reasonable for both teams to hold joint Sprint Planning, Review, and Retrospective sessions for that product at a synchronized Sprint boundary every two weeks?

05:35 am August 28, 2018

Okay understood, so ultimately the "Sprint Length" can vary between teams.

I think based on Nexus each team will carry out their own Scrum Ceremonies (except Sprint Review) within their own team whenever appropriate.

And the appropriate representatives from each team will carry out the Nexus Events and finally all of the nexus team will do a joint Nexus sprint Review with the stakeholders.

09:12 pm October 29, 2018

John

I think thats right. The Nexus Guide describes how the SCRUM events and ceremonies still take place ( except for the SCRUM Sprint Review , which alone is replaced by the Nexus Sprint Review).

Also the Nexus Guide never says the SCRUM team Sprints have to be aligned, but it does say: (pg. 6 last para. )

"The duration of Nexus events is guided by the length of the corresponding events in the Scrum Guide. They are time-boxes in addition to their corresponding Scrum events."  

To make sense of Nexus I need to treat it as an Appendix or an overlay, and read it in conjunction with the SCRUM Guide. Third Parties have mis-guided people like the OP above in my opinion.

Neither SCRUM or Nexus require "sprints to start and finish at the same time..."

The SCRUM teams need to collaborate frequently to manage integration issues, deploying frequently ( CI/CD ) and the Sprints should as Ian said " come into alignment regularly....."  but the Sprints don't have to be the same length.

Pat

05:31 pm April 3, 2019

I think John makes this very clear. Neither Nexus nor the Scrum Guide requires any of the synchronization of sprints. The Original question comes from Scrum Exam simulators is incorrect and misguiding. PSM doesnt include questions on Nexus as clarified recently. The point goes to Lapshin. 

07:46 pm April 3, 2019

Additionally, while there isnt much material on Nexus, The Nexus Network For Scaling Scrum, By Bittner etc (sponsored by Scrum.org) explains on Pg 105 that the obligation to deliver a working increment is there in Nexus and this should be be key in deciding the Sprint length which is a team level factor. I think some of these Exam Generators have misleading/incorrect questions as others have pointed out. 

04:55 am June 2, 2022

"The Original question comes from Scrum Exam simulators is incorrect and misguiding. PSM doesnt include questions on Nexus as clarified recently..."

I wonder of that alleged clarification, because if memory serves, my recent attempt at an actual assessment included at least one question about multiple scrum teams. I know it is years later now, but could you point to why you thought Nexus type stuff was no longer a part of PSM? 

11:33 am June 2, 2022

It's good that I stumbled upon this thread, I had the same confusion. Thanks Ian for the detailed answers.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.