03:13 am March 7, 2017

Hi everyone.

I am SM on a scrum team that have the following members:

- 1 UX

- 1 QA

-2 Android Devs

- 2 IoS Devs

- 1 DevOps

The question is, how is the better way to estimate points on planning considering that the Android devs cant help IOS devs??

The estimate on android devs was 13, because they need to refactor some code, the estimate on ios devs was 5. They can´t help each other, so they are making different efforts. Should i consider only the higher estimate, should i add both estimates and count as 18 ?? Any tips?

03:45 pm March 7, 2017

Irrespective of who does what, why can't they reach a team-based consensus? Don't the developers with iOS skills believe that the android code needs refactoring?

04:08 pm March 7, 2017

To add to Ian's comment, on our team, here, we've really sought to embrace the "t-shaped people" ethic of having everyone understand some of each other person's skill set, such that the iOS devs would get familiar with some of the work the Android devs are doing and vice-versa. This will expand everyone's knowledge base, as well as making it easier for team members to come to a consensus on things like point estimation; more importantly, it will improve everyone's capacity to troubleshoot and review each other's work.

04:56 pm March 7, 2017

Hi there!

Seems like a couple of things that need to be resolved here, all of which goes back to the Development team being self-enabling:

- While each team member has their own specialization, the Development Team has all the skills and experience needed to complete a user story.

- There is no exclusive owner of a User Story within a sprint, as the entire Development Team is responsible for completing all work required to get this User Story to its definition of done.

- Planning Poker encourages the Development Team to come to a consensus for what they believe is the estimated effort for a User Story (as Ian mentioned).

It might be a good idea to be conservative and take the higher estimate, but both Android and iOS devs should be able to state their case as to why they chose their estimates, take those into consideration, and do another round of Planning Poker, until they reach an agreement. In the long term, the team's overall velocity and experience working together can help get to common estimate sooner.

Out of curiosity, though - are both iOS and Android devs working simultaneously on one User Story? If they aren't, is it possible to break the User Story into one for either platform? It could probably fall under the INVEST mnemonic still.

05:23 pm March 7, 2017

Yes, the IoS developpers agree that android devs need refactoring, so they will consense on the android points?

06:49 pm March 7, 2017

Ian, the Ios devs believe that android devs need a refactoring, so they should agree with a higher story points?

Michael, this is the best scenario i can see. I will try to apply this on my team.

08:59 pm March 7, 2017

Interesting! Thanks for all advices, i will consider all of them! 

You all made clear what i have to do! Thanks!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.