Skip to main content

How to use Planning Poker Card for Cross - Functional team?

Last post 08:09 am November 15, 2023 by Steven Deneir
4 replies
03:13 am November 10, 2023

Hello everyone,

My team has been using the Scrum framework for more than a year, and we have found that since using it, we have overcome all the complex tasks quite smoothly. But in the process, we also encountered a lot of difficulties. The current difficulty we are facing is estimating Story Points using Planning Poker Cards.

The problem we have is that, in the cross-functional team including: Dev, Art, Game Design, Tester, Marketing … And when choosing the point for the Story, we have difficulty that the Devs only have enough expertise to estimate points for Dev, similarly for other positions. We have tried to let everyone estimate together, but it is not effective, and the answer we usually get is: I cannot estimate for other positions. So, we came up with an idea, which is:

Let the Dev position estimate their points, similarly for other positions. Then we will add them all up to get the final point. For example: 

Dev estimates for Story A is 5 points. 

Art: 3 points 

Tester: 5 points.

then the point for that Story will be: 5 + 3 + 5 = 13 points. 

Can you tell me if this is correct? If not, is there any way to solve it?

06:52 am November 10, 2023

Would you say that the Developers have a shared sense of joint accountability and commitment? It sounds as though they view each other as holding different "positions". How effectively do they collaborate when actually doing the work, considering the difficulties that are exposed when trying to estimate it?

04:20 pm November 10, 2023

There is no "right way" to estimate.  After all, an estimate is a just a guess made at a point in time based upon the information available at that instance.  Everyone estimates differently.  In fact, each of the Developers have their own "method" of arriving at their individual estimate so even when 4 Developers rate something a 5, it may not be the same. 

The idea of using Story Points is to come up with an estimate that is relative to other work that has been done.  It uses a modified Fibonacci sequence because as the numbers increase, so do the margins between them.  This helps teams get past the issue of how much bigger is a 6 from a 5.  The margins increase as the complexity and unknowns increase.

If your team has been working together for more than a year, then there should be some history that they can use to learn.  The ones that write code can learn about the marketing side by asking questions, looking at the relationship of the code they wrote to the complexity of the marketing activities, etc, etc.  It isn't expected that everyone on the team will know how to do all of the work, but it is expected that everyone on the team is capable of understanding all of the work. To me, this sounds like a situation where people don't want to take the time to understand anything that others are doing, unless the others are doing the same type of activity as themselves. 

Consider a soccer team.  There are specialized positions on the team.  Each position has some specific purpose for being on the field.  But if you ask anyone on the team what the other players are doing, they will be able to explain.  And in many cases, they could help anyone on the field.  That is a cross functional team of individuals all working on a common goal. Software/Game development should not be any different.

08:43 am November 14, 2023

Thanks Daniel and Ian

I have a clear understanding of the issues within my team now.

08:09 am November 15, 2023
Gi Giang, My colleague Jürgen De Smet recorded a video about this topic. Maybe you can benefit from it. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDYuZkqop5g Hope this helps you a step further.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.