Skip to main content

Daily Stand up

Last post 06:14 pm March 10, 2017 by Stefan Mieth
8 replies
12:49 pm March 8, 2017

There was a question in PSM1 assessment -- What time should the daily stand up be conducted.

10:07 pm March 8, 2017

Thank you for your post, Sangeetha. Please note that this is not a question which appears on our PSM I assessment. Furthermore, please note that posting assessment content is in violation of our Terms of use:

"Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content."

The purpose of the forums is to cultivate understanding of the implementation of Scrum through the sharing of insight, knowledge and experience. They are not a source for specific answers to our Professional-level assessment questions.​ We do encourage you to use our forums as they were intended, and wish you the best in your continued learning of Scrum.​ Enjoy your day!

04:52 am March 9, 2017

Thank you so much for your response. And I do apologize for the question. Intent was to understand if it DSM's are to be help at morning as a rule or at any conveinient time as decided by the development team

05:57 am March 9, 2017

Dear Team, Thank you for your kind reply. My sincere apologies for the post. Will ensure that this does not happen again. Rest assured, my intent was only to get the concept of daily stand up clarified, as there were multiple view points to it. Wanted to understand what is Scrum's recommendation on this

Thank You.

03:16 pm March 9, 2017

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, do you think there is a "best" time for the Daily Scrum, or ought it to be left to a self-organizing Development Team when to hold this 15 minute time-boxed event?

04:53 pm March 9, 2017

In addition to Ian's questions, who owns the Daily Scrum?  Who is required to be present?

"What did I do yesterday that helped the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?"

"What will I do today to help the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?"

The questions being asked at the Daily Scrum are worded in a way that makes them most appropriate for a morning meeting.  I suppose you could tailor them to an afternoon or COB meeting (What did you do today?  What will you do tomorrow?) but you're adding in a delay by doing that.

08:20 pm March 9, 2017

What about

What did I do the last 24 hours ?

What will I do the next 24 hours ?

09:08 am March 10, 2017

I don't like calling it a Daily Stand-Up because people often associate stand-up meeting with, albeit short, status update meetings. 

02:46 pm March 10, 2017

That's right, the official term is daily scrum and not daily stand-up. And it is not a status meeting were the team gives a report to a manager or something like that.

The daily scrum shall help the development team to plan their next 24 hours, inspect their progress towards the sprint goal and getting a feeling about how the trend is in implementing the forecasted work for the sprint. However, the team can decide the time they want to held the daily scrum. Having the daily scrum in the morning as the first thing of the day can be difficult for people being grumpy in the morning, having it to late in the evening can lead to difficulties if someone continuously has to leave earlier. Just let the development team decide.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.