Skip to main content

Nexus Guide 2016 question/clarification

Last post 10:00 pm March 13, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
04:01 pm March 13, 2017

Hello, 

I am not sure if this question has already been asked, so apologies for the unintended repeat question. So here goes:

In the Nexus Guide, 

Nexus Sprint Planning: Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team meet to discuss and review the refined Product Backlog. They select Product Backlog items for each team.

Then later on down the line it says,

To begin Nexus Sprint Planning, appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team validate and make adjustments to the ordering of the work as created during Refinement events. All members of the Scrum Teams should participate to minimize communication issues.

Which brings me to the question, during the Nexus Sprint planning who is required to attend/participates/and invited?  Is it representatives of the scrum team or all members of the scrum team?

08:30 pm March 13, 2017

Officially, Scrum requires the delegates be present and encourages the team members to be present, but unlike the Team Daily Scrum it doesn't seem as though it's a hard requirement for non-representatives to be there.

Realistically with a large multi-team project, nothing about a 60-person meeting with all members actively participating sounds "agile" to me.  The benefits of resolving communication concerns early on are rapidly lost when you consider that daily scrums and daily nexus scrums are already in place to facilitate this.

However I'm not a SPS, so I'll reference someone who is, Simon Kneafsey:

Nexus Sprint Planning should be attended by all Scrum Teams and include all team members.

In reality it can be tough to coordinate this large number of people, so each Scrum Teams should nominate a smaller number of appropriate people to represent the team when planning discussions are carried out at the Nexus level.

http://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/scrum/scaled-professional-scrum-and-nex…

10:00 pm March 13, 2017

They should all be there to participate and mimimize communication overhead between teams and representative nominees.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.