Skip to main content

What features would you like to see added to this forum?

Last post 06:45 pm February 8, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
19 replies
06:44 pm March 23, 2017

This forum is lacking in features, but at the same time is one of the only public agile forums available.  I feel it might be conducive to hold an open discussion about what functionality, form, or guidelines we'd like to see added to make this a more pleasant experience for everyone.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'll start with what I feel is a basic one:

• We need the ability to edit our posts after submitting, so we can revise typos or format problems.

02:45 am March 25, 2017

I agree with Jason that this forum though good, lacks a few things, most of all discipline. Confusion caused by both poster as well as responders.

1. Ability to amend/edit a post before posting with a preview. If posted and needs to be edited, that privilege should be available only if there is no response yet to the original post.

2. Nobody should be allowed to post any other question within the original posting. Either you respond with and answer or you don't. That is the problem I face now. Somebody posted a set of 4 Scrum questions asking for answers and by the end of it all, everybody else was posting his own set of questions making a total mess.

3. If a person violates the rules, he/she should be informed and the post deleted or the original poster should have the discretion to delete any response that does not conform to the rules.

4. Posts should have dates and so should responses.

5. If a new version of Scrum is released with updated conventions and rules, then all older posts should be archived so as to prevent newcomers from being misled with old information.

6. There should be categories created i.e. for PSM1, PSM 2, PSM 3, Scrum guide, Scrum discussions, Agile, etc.

7. All posts must have a subject line clearly stating a topic

8. Search by topic within category with key words

03:06 pm March 28, 2017

And I had forgotten to add the most important point. If the question posted is answered, there should be a feature to close the post by the original poster. So, then we can have the option to search by closed positions as well.

07:25 pm October 12, 2017

1.) Editing posts

2.) Editing posts

3.) Editing posts

08:04 pm October 12, 2017

I think Cecil brought up great points that need to implemented. However, I disagree with the second (not allowing questions within the original posting). Sometimes in order to give an answer, you need to ask more questions. I think we can all agree that there are many things within the framework that are not black and white and therefore require more discussion that includes secondary questions. 

05:37 am October 13, 2017

In addition to above,

1. Mail notification toggle, if someone responds after your response. This would work also in case if you have posted the question.

2. list of replies I have posted; under my profile.

3. And as Cecil said, once answer is accepted, the post should move to 'Solved' or 'Answered' category.

02:22 pm October 13, 2017

The suggestion of having categories is huge. It gets a little old seeing the numerous 1 off posts for "I just passed the PSM1 with 90%, here is how I did it!". Too many off these are what I call "Once and done" users. I use the forum as a learning tool because this is a platform for Scrum Masters all across the globe that can share their stories and pose questions. Having separate locations for the exam tips versus the Scrum Discussion would be awesome.

Having the ability reply to a specific poster on a thread would be good. It would insert the original comment in the reply being submitted. Currently, I have to copy and paste a comment and click the Block Quote button to make it stand out. Have a button next to each comment made on a thread for Reply and insert the original comment automatically. This is a really common feature on tons of other online forums.

It would be great to see and access the the threads created by the user when you click their name. Again, this is another very common feature on many forums.

04:27 pm October 13, 2017

I would really like a stackoverflow style of upvoting valuable answers for specific types of questions.

But as many conversations are flowing in most topics this might be a separate forum even.

06:32 am October 16, 2017

In the absence of an upvote feature, I +1 everything Curtis suggested :-D

08:12 am October 16, 2017

I also miss editing and upvoting. Furthermore, some categorization would be very helpful. I know that other sites restrict the forums containing the more advanced discussions to already certified people, but I think it would be totally enough for a start to just have separate forums for scrum essentials (aka I want to pass or have passed exam xyz) and real world scrum application.

04:19 pm October 16, 2017

What impact might it have on answers that allow others to realize solutions by themselves, if there's a stack overflow style voting system?

10:17 am October 17, 2017

The ability to edit, upvoting, categories (PSM, PSPO, SPS, PSD, etc), email components, instant email when being replied, some polling, mobile app, favorites, some subscriptions, edits, etc. The roll out does not have to immediate but gradually.. MVP. Features will provide topics to be properly categorized, streamline and quicker searches.

11:48 am October 17, 2017

What impact might it have on answers that allow others to realize solutions by themselves, if there's a stack overflow style voting system?

Your point is valid and exactly this style of answering seems to be the trend on this forum. While I like it in many cases, it is important to understand that everybody learns in a different way.

A lot of knowledge is hidden in these answers-questions and many incorrect conclusions can be drawn from them. I personally learn more from examples and opinions.

Stackoverflow also allows comments, which might be more suitable for answer-questions as it's not really "an answer".

12:36 pm October 17, 2017

I feel the most important and requested features should be implemented maybe on a 'test' basis first. After usage one would know what other implementations would be necessary. Edit features?

02:13 pm October 17, 2017

Direct Messaging.... anyone? 

05:38 pm October 17, 2017

Your point is valid and exactly this style of answering seems to be the trend on this forum. While I like it in many cases, it is important to understand that everybody learns in a different way.

I agree that it's not always the appropriate way of responding, but it's often an effective way to coach someone.

It's not hard to find answers at https://pm.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/scrum which have been voted up because they're decisive and confidently written. It doesn't mean they're helping the user.

A lot of the answers given on this forum won't always be what the original poster wants or expects to hear; either indirect or at times critical of something the original poster is doing. I question the value of a feature that could be an incentive against that kind of response.

There have been some suggestions here that I like though (particularly email notifications and edits).

I think it'd be interesting to hear from someone at Scrum.org, about what has been mentioned in this thread so far.

11:37 am October 18, 2017

I agree that it's not always the appropriate way of responding, but it's often an effective way to coach someone.

Agreed. The questions is then, what is the goal of this forum. For me it is to gain knowledge and hear other opinions, if I want a coach, I'll go find one.

For others it might be to get as close to free coaching to become scrummaster, I don't know.

It's not hard to find answers at https://pm.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/scrumwhich have been voted up because they're decisive and confidently written. It doesn't mean they're helping the user.

A reputation score would be valuable as well, at least this combination is typically  how I value answers on SO. Any answer might not help the user, the upvote is one metric to figure this out.

01:09 pm October 18, 2017

The ability to edit your posts to correct errors or clarify statements.

02:58 pm October 19, 2017

I would like to now if there are newer topics since my last visit.

Notification about newer answers on topics I am following or have answered.

06:45 pm February 8, 2021

So, its now 2021 and it seems that editing posts, notifications for updates, finding posts created by someone, etc., are still unfortunately missing from this site. 

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, but searching for it is not easy. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.