Skip to main content

Ineffective Scrum Team and High Expectations

Last post 08:39 pm February 26, 2024 by Chukwumazuru Bright Okereke
4 replies
07:18 am February 23, 2024

In my role as a project manager, I have been told to serve as the scrum master for the development team as well. (I can't call this a scrum team because a whole lot of things I learnt about scrum are not in place)

So, the CEO is also the PO but doesn't write out features and barely attends the scrum ceremonies. I am the one who writes the Jira tickets and still coordinate with the design team for design review. I also interface with other departments within the company.

I see this as a refining phase tbh, but my issue here is that the CEO wants me to plan two sprints worth of work ahead. This is so challenging to achieve because I don't focus solely on the development team. I'm also the one required to write PRDs and describe features to be built.

Please how can I achieve this?

05:13 pm February 23, 2024

What, exactly, do you want to achieve? You've identified several problems in the organization: a misunderstanding of Agile methods and Scrum, a disengaged Product Owner, the expectations that the Scrum Master does administrative work for the team, a command-and-control and plan-driven environment. There may be other problems or other ways of thinking about a problem. You can't solve all of them immediately, so what's the most impactful to the team's success?

05:34 pm February 23, 2024

In my role as a project manager, I have been told to serve as the scrum master for the development team as well

It might be as well to begin with this. Are you aware that, as a Scrum Master, your project management function comes to an end?

07:41 pm February 23, 2024

The first thing I would do is stop using the term Scrum Master for myself and Product Owner for the CEO. I would also avoid the term Scrum at all costs.  That is because none of those terms, as defined in the Scrum Guide, apply to your situation.  Don't encourage people to think that they do. 

I am going to borrow something that @Ian usually asks.  Who in a position of authority at this organization wants Scrum to be successful and do they understand what that means? Because it sounds like your organization likes the terminology but doesn't want to exert the effort to change how the organization works.

Please how can I achieve this?

By reverting back to your project management skills and create a project plan that has short waterfall-like periods of development activity. In your free time, you could start to educate people on the actual Scrum framework and see if there is support or a need for trying to implement it.

11:16 pm February 24, 2024

A big thank you to everyone who has shared their insights so far.

By reverting back to your project management skills and create a project plan that has short waterfall-like periods of development activity. 

I will implement this moving forward as well. Thank you @Daniel Wilhite 

You can't solve all of them immediately, so what's the most impactful to the team's success?

One that will be most impactful is the development team planning a month's worth of work ahead at any given time. @Thomas Owens

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.