Skip to main content

Improvements and next sprint

Last post 11:54 am April 16, 2024 by Anand Balakrishnan
4 replies
06:48 pm April 11, 2024

Hello,

I'm starting with SCRUM and I want to know how many improvements of the retrospective should be included in the next sprint ?

I'm sorry if my answer is candid.

Best regards

09:08 pm April 11, 2024

There's no singular answer to this question.

I would say the minimum is one. You want to be making continuous improvements to your way of working. If you haven't identified one potential improvement and set some time aside to begin to work toward implementing it, you aren't practicing continuous improvement.

The maximum number depends on the capacity of the team. Like any kind of work, implementing improvements takes effort. The more effort you dedicate to implementing improvements, the less you'll have for product delivery work - you'll need to balance delivering value to your stakeholders with improving the team's ability to deliver value.

12:39 am April 12, 2024

I'm starting with SCRUM and I want to know how many improvements of the retrospective should be included in the next sprint ?

In lean and agile practice, the best way to inspect and adapt is as closely as possible to the time and place of work being carried out. So ideally the answer would be none: the fewer that are delayed to the next Sprint the better.

10:25 am April 12, 2024

As Thomas mentions, there is no best answer for this. He has some great points to consider. We want to ensure that some improvement is identified and made.

I like Ian's view of this. To quote the guide "A Scrum Team is expected to adapt the moment it learns anything new through inspection."

Some other thoughts on this...Just because we have a formal event for retrospection, it doesn't mean it is the only time we inspect and adapt ourselves as a team. Why wait for the end of the Sprint to Inspect and plan Adaptation when you can improve as you go. Our improvements are not limited to formally planned activities in the next Sprint. Of course they can be, and if retrospective is where something is made transparent, that would be when you address it or plan for it. 

11:54 am April 16, 2024

Agree with the points mentioned above. There is no clear answer for this. It is what the team decides and finds suitable. There is a balance you need to strike between improvements and new features (there is always a push for new features :) ). Sometimes improvements could also be a technical debt incurred (some adjustment done to prioritize time over quality). These technical debts needs to be cleared immediately as if it is put to a later date, it would mean a big effort later.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.