Skip to main content

Project Scoping and Resource Planning

Last post 08:32 pm May 2, 2024 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
04:50 pm May 1, 2024

Hi everyone,

Our business is new to Agile, as am I, and I'm essentially trying to take on the role of PO, SM and internal Programme Project Manager all at the same time (wish me luck).

We have a business case process that we're trying to refine, which will eventually feed into requesting additional resource if deemed necessary. These are for things that will take multiple sprints to complete. It essentially goes:

• (Anyone in the business) Raise business case / suggest idea for new product / feature

• Sanity check from manager that it's a good idea

• Dev T-shirt size

• Get approval for further scoping

• Level 2 scoping

• Get approval to do the work

• Add work to roadmap

• Create tickets and refine work 6-8 weeks out

• Begin work

The "Level 2 scoping" phase should:

• Gather user stories

• Come up with a general idea of how we will do the work

• Give an estimate as to how many man-days this might take (and state a % level of accuracy)

We can then look at all the approved business cases and decide roughly what we want to fit into the coming year, based on the aggregated man-days estimates (with the understanding that these are only estimates).

If the man-days of the pieces of work we want to do is more than the man-days we have in a year, then that enables us to request budget for additional Developers.

The problem is that the man-days estimates are very hard to do and not in line with Agile as I understand it.

I'm interested to hear how others:

1. scope work on a new product and

2. request budget to grow their teams

Many thanks, 

Josh 

08:17 pm May 2, 2024

traditional way of cost estimation for a project may not work with agile development approach. Keep the teams constant and let them decide how much to do. 

08:32 pm May 2, 2024

These are for things that will take multiple sprints to complete

What intention is there to complete increments of usable product at least once every Sprint, and to engage in validated learning? From what you describe there will be no real Sprints at all.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.