Skip to main content

Is Adding tester to Scrum team correct way according to scrum guide ?

Last post 03:26 pm May 10, 2024 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
07:42 pm May 9, 2024

Hi,

I was solving PSM1 exam prep questions and I saw one question : No one in the current composition of the Team knows how to test a piece of software professionally, and we need to test each piece of software as it's developed. What should we do?

The answer was "Add another person to Scrum team, who is a professional software tester." Is it correct according to scrum guide ? Because I know that scrum team should be cross-functional and developers have all skills to create valuable increment. 

Another answers are : 

Ask test unit, which provides services to other projects of company

Outsource Test to another company

It's too soon to decide on a task that is due to end of project

Thank you in advance, 

09:23 pm May 9, 2024

The right answer would depend upon the commitments which the Developers made. Where did you find this question? What is its provenance?

07:28 am May 10, 2024

I bought exam prep course in Udemy, I saw this question in there. I asked to course owner too but I wanted to ask another people to have most acceptable idea

Can you explain more your answer because I didn't see this kind of commitment about developers in resources.How can we understand this from the Scrum Guide? 

Thank you, 

03:26 pm May 10, 2024

I would be very suspicious of all the questions from this source.  None of the options are something that you would find in the Scrum Guide and I have never seen anything like it from any scrum.org resource. 

Here is the first reason I would be suspicious.  The Scrum Guide references 3 roles, not 3 job descriptions.  The role of Developer is indeed one that has all the skills necessary to produce the work needed to create and improve the product.  But it is not a single individual. It is not a job description.  And no where in the Scrum Guide does it state that the individuals fulfilling the role of Developer only write code for the application.  Developers are the ones that are responsible for the technical work necessary to build and improve the product. Testing/Quality Assurance is technical work necessary to build and improve the product.  I have never found a good third party resource for preparing for scrum.org assessments.  They tend to inject their own opinions, their own interpretations and attempt to justify your need to pay for their assessments. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.