Skip to main content

PSPO 1/PSM 1 Type of Question - Changes to the Definition of Done During the Sprint - Trying to Resolve Inconsistencies

Last post 12:42 pm May 5, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
04:42 pm May 4, 2017

I have passed the PSM 1 Exam and I am currently studying for the PSPO 1 Exam.  I have the following question that I am asking from the point of view of what the correct answer would be based on Scrum.Org’s current viewpoint. I am getting inconsistent answers from different sources on this question and I am trying to resolve these inconsistencies:

Question:       Some sources say that the Definition of Done can’t change during the Sprint. It could only change during the Sprint Retrospective.  Other sources say it could change at any time to increase quality (as long as the Sprint Goal is not endangered).  However, this has an impact to estimates and causes the need to re-plan and lack of focus. What is the latest viewpoint with respect to changes to the Definition of Done during the Sprint?  If it could change during the Sprint, are there any specific rules regarding when it could change?

12:42 pm May 5, 2017

I think your own summary is a good one. The DoD can be subject to inspection and adaptation at any point. A mid-sprint revision may necessitate the replanning of work. Note that it may also involve rework, since the DoD applies to the increment and not just to individual work items. This replanning ought not to put the Sprint Goal in danger. If it does endanger the Goal and yet improved quality is essential for release, then Sprint cancellation may be considered. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.