Skip to main content

Switch career to become Scrum Master

Last post 05:11 pm May 9, 2017 by Kamil Rott
4 replies
03:57 pm May 7, 2017

Hi guys.

Not to repeat many of the same my question is this.

Can I successfully become Scrum Master if I am not involved in any software development and have a completely different career path? Realistically how probable is that I can become a Scrum Master without any prior knowledge of the subject? I am willing to spend time and money to get there. I am at a point in my life where complete change is needed (health reasons) and this is something that interests me. 

Hope this question is not out of place here. I am looking at honest opinions and perhaps advice on how to best approach career change like this.

I am a computer enthusiast, managing small network (3 pcs + cctv and two printers) as a side to my day to day job.

Thanks 

Kamil

10:51 am May 9, 2017

Hi Kamil,

A Scrum master role is needed when you are working in Scrum based project, are you ? if not then you first need to understand why Agile, why Scrum and all other different scenarios where its needed. That might give you a better perspective.

But having said that, to answer your question, you can become a Scrum master without prior experience, its just that real life experience can make you a better Scrum master rather then just getting the certification. And I didn't understand the aim of you last statement !!

11:20 am May 9, 2017

Benjamin Day blogged about this earlier this year: https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/top-3-scrum-people-skills-myths

In short: Yes, it is entirely possible to become a Scrum Master without any prior knowledge of software development. However, having at least some knowledge about how SW development works will certainly make it easier. In addition, many employers might hesitate to hire somebody as a Scrum Master without any knowledge of SW development.

Scrum is currently being used in a lot more domains than just SW development though. Maybe its already in use in your current field? It might be worth looking into that.

Hope that helps.

02:54 pm May 9, 2017

As much depends upon the organizational appetite for agile practice, as it does upon the skills and experience of the Scrum Master. If you are in an organization which has such an appetite, and where there is clear sponsorship for Scrum, then you have the best possible start.

03:52 pm May 9, 2017

@ Ankit Agrawal last sentence was merely to give little background that I am not a complete novice.

Thanks to all of you for taking your time to answer. The clear message I get from this is that yes it is possible but a lot depends on circumstances. I am prepared to try and gain experience even if I have to do it for free. 

@ Julian Bayer - thanks for the link

Appreciate your time folks.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.