Skip to main content

Does one need to be a technical coder/tester to do SCRUM certification and join a team?

Last post 01:21 am May 27, 2017 by Jason Jafarian
2 replies
09:46 pm May 24, 2017

Hi,

Good Morning all. I am fairly new to this concept of Scrum and its affiliate- look alike certifications. I am a novice professional with experience spanning 9 years in the areas of Service Desk, IT Desktop and Hardware support, Incident Management and was fortunate to be associated with two different projects of application support.

I consider myself novice when it comes to writing code be it in any language and need your suggestions or help in letting me know if One has to be a good/intermediate developer to be a part of scrum team.

My key strengths are my communication skills, customer engagement skills, Product Up selling and Incident and Service Desk management.

Your inputs would be of great help as I want to shift gears and aspire to do scrum, but with multiple views/answers online when I checked for the above question.

I believe you being the masters would be able to throw more light enlighten me in the basic YES or NO answers of my doubts.

Thank you all and have a nice day.

Cheers

Siva

03:32 pm May 25, 2017

What role on a Scrum team would you see yourself in? Scrum Master, member of the Development Team, or Product Owner? How do your strengths apply to that specific role?

01:21 am May 27, 2017

Scrum is often applied to software development tasks, but Scrum itself is just a project framework that empowers teams to be efficient, value-oriented, and transparent.  Scrum teams are often cross trained, but specialized.  So even if you do work on a software project, you could have a testing or documentation background, and pick up enough coding to support other members of the team with code reviews or pairwise programming, even if you're not doing most of the coding yourself.

Have you reviewed the Scrum Guide?  What parts of the guide do you feel might be hindered by not having a strong coding background?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.