Skip to main content

Passed PSM I

Last post 02:21 pm July 26, 2017 by Shradha Kamal
7 replies
06:44 pm July 2, 2017

I passed my PSM I exam today with a 90%, thank you to all members who have posted advice on how to study and pass this exam. I only had to take it once.

The real exam has some questions from the open assessments but most of the questions are geared towards how to apply your Scrum knowledge in real-world settings. You'll have to really understand the concepts and be able to interpret them in a work place setting.

What I did:

1. Read, re-read, and re-read The Scrum Guide

2. Read Scrum Forum posts of other people's experiences

3. Took the scrum open assessments until I consistently got 100% at least 4-5 times 

4. Took Mikhail Lapshin's practice exams in learning mode and test mode a few times and studied the answers.

Had I not passed, I would have looked into the MPlaza exams but I didn't want to spend more money than the $150 I spent to take the exam. I felt the M. Lapshin's exam was more than adequate and helpful. 

Thank you all!

Francesca

07:43 pm July 9, 2017

My warm congratulations, Francesca!

04:35 am July 10, 2017

Hi Francesca,

Congratulations on clearing the PSM1 exam. 

I am also planning to take the test soon.  My preparation is also on similar lines. Scrum guide, Open assessments and M Lapshin's wonderful quiz. Few queries if you can help with.

1.Did you go through the other open assessments also (for PO and developer) ? 

2. Did you go through the Nexus guide ? I read questions come from Nexus guide and scaled scrums also. 

3. Is the time adequate for the test ?

Thanks,

Karan 

06:13 pm July 14, 2017

Hi,

I passed my PSM1 exam in first attempt with 94%. Thanks to this wonderful forum and the people here whose advice immensely helped me to crack it.

My preparation as below

1. Scrum guide - bible - no substitute to this. Read every day at-least 2-3 times line by line. 

2. Did open assessments until i scored 100% consistently on PSM1, PSPO in 5-7 mins of time.

3.Thanks to Mikhail Lapshin, the genius, (mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-quiz/) for his great quiz on PSM1. Did both learning and real mode. Did the real mode quiz on PSM1 until scored 95% or above every time. 

4. Read the nexus guide as i read in blogs and forums we may get some questions related to scaled scrums concepts. 

5. Did try some random quiz and questions available on the internet but that was only confusing me.Would not recommend doing so.Open assessments and Mlapshins' quiz ultimately i relied on and did repeatedly before exam to boost my confidence..

Regarding exam i would say it was a mix of some very tough questions where choosing the best answer was really making a tough choice and some straight forward from open assessments. Did the exam in 2 rounds, one to go for all the quick wins and bookmark the tough ones. To be honest i did struggle with the time a bit towards the end so please do keep a time check. Try to complete your first round with max covered in less than 30 mins.

Don't waste your time in googling or searching. Does not help at all. 

All the very best !. Thanks.

02:34 pm July 15, 2017

Hey Folks,

Yesterday I cleared my PSM l exam with 96.3 % score.I am really happy with the way it all went.

I want to keep learning scrum, in that respect what should be my next step? Should it be PSM ll or there is any other certification I should try for?

And thank you all very much for the knowledge provided on these forums.

04:06 pm July 20, 2017

Congratulations Malvika. 

02:47 am July 26, 2017

Hi All,

I have passed my PSM1 Certification today, this was my 1st attempt. My passing score is 92.6%, which I think is nice to have. Though, wanted to clear with more than 95%.

I would like to thank all the members of this forum for their valuable feedbacks, I would also like to recommend - Management Plaza assessments and book by Mohammed Mustafa Shaukat Ali. However, scrum guide and your work experience as a part of scrum team are the best way to pass the certification.

Please devote time as it not an easy exam to pass.

Thanks,

Parikshit Krishna

11:29 am July 26, 2017

Hello All,

Glad to add to this forum with the news that I too passed PSM I with 90% score in my 1st attempt itself.I want to thank each one of you who has contributed here and other Scrum.org forum on how to prepare.IT HELPED!!!

Below are the tricks for preparation from my experience :

1) Read Scrum guide as many times as possible until you feel confident on each line mentioned in it.Guys its the Scrum bible.Each and every line is damn important.So dont miss even a single line.I must have read it 5-6 times atleast,even though I have Scrum experience. 

2) Read Nexus guide for Scaled/Multiple team concepts.This concept is very important as atleast you can expect 5 questions based on such scenario (if I remember exactly).

3) Do try Scrum Open assessments not only for Scrum master but PO and Developer and Nexus and that too until you score 100% in all repeatedly.This will confirm your basic concept and give you confidence.Also the question set is a pool so when you take them multiple times you will get along each and every question in the set.

4) Also you do find few mock tests online but I would recommend mlapshin.com.It has really good practice set and again practice for all Scrum master,PO and Scaled.This is more than enough to help you clear your concepts.

5) Initially I was not sure about Mplaza. But here I recommend, if you can buy the practice set,do buy it because it has really good tricky questions (Scrum.org and Mlapshin has direct questions) to practice and you can also expect few questions from there in real test.

6) Last but not the least, I would recommend you to atleast once read the Scrum master Training manual to brush up on your preparation.

7) In case you dont have a project experience on Scrum do check out videos on youtube.There are few good ones but to be honest they are repeatitive and time consuming.

Having said all I did for preparation I will definely say the exam is not that difficult as normally you get to read everywhere.May be 10-12 questions would be the ones that will responsible for you fail or pass and there will be few which you can find same as those in practice set.So go for it relaxed but with your complete preparation.

All the best!!! 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.