Skip to main content

Scrum Advice Needed!!

Last post 09:14 pm July 3, 2017 by Harry Lennox
3 replies
03:33 pm July 3, 2017

Hello,

I work in ict for a big hospital, 

recently my manager asked me to become scrum master for my whole ICT department, 

Our department consists of 5 different teams totaling about 45 people,

He has asked me to do this but only offerd me 8 hours per week to do so, so to implement scrum and be the scrum master

Is this realistic, my feeling is even if i would become scrum master fulltime it would be quite a lot of work, of should i decline the offer?

our company consists of 3500 FTE 

Thanks for your advice!!!

06:25 pm July 3, 2017

Ask him why he wants to implement Scrum and what he hopes to gain from it, why he believes that one ICT person can achieve the deep and pervasive organizational change which is required, why he believes that 8 hours per week will be sufficient for this purpose, and why he thinks that this huge responsibility can be delegated at all.

06:37 pm July 3, 2017

Harry, the decision to accept or decline the offer rests with you.   Actually, that is a fairly unique situation to be free to decline offers of work and responsibility from management.

Some context around your situation may be beneficial:

Has Scrum training been provided to the department?   To executives/management?   Have you been trained/certified as a Scrum Master?

Why is your department converting to Scrum?   What is the organizational strategy for transforming to Scrum?   Is your department first to try Scrum, or can your department learn from the experiences of other teams/departments in your organization?

Do the 5 teams serve a single Product Owner, or multiple PO's?

Why does your manager believe it only takes a Scrum Master 8 hours/week to serve 5 Development Teams?   What does your manager expect you to do with the remaining 32 hours/week?

On the surface, without knowing much of the details, it is quite unrealistic to expect someone new to the Scrum Master role to not work full-time in the position, and that is just to serve a single Development Team, much less 5 Development Teams that may also be new to Scrum.

09:10 pm July 3, 2017

Ian Mitchell and Timothy Baffa

Thanks for your advice and help!

Harry Lennox

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.