Skip to main content

Scrum users? Who are they?

Last post 11:51 pm April 29, 2020 by Chris Belknap
6 replies
01:46 pm July 18, 2017

There is only one place in the Scrum guide that mentions "Scrum Users". I tried searching the forum first for an answer about "Scrum users", who are they? My search string for the forum is "Scrum users", including double quotes.

I went through following link:

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/6492/couple-scrum-guide-questio…

In this @Saumya Das treated the Development team and Scrum users as the same.

However I am bearing the understanding that it should be

• The Development Team
  • Product owner and
  • Scrum Master

I will appreciate an insight into this one.

Thanks

03:11 pm July 18, 2017

The Scrum Guide says: "Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances". 

Which role is responsible, in Scrum, for inspecting and adapting progress towards a Sprint Goal? Are you considering "Scrum users" in a wider context? 

05:04 pm July 18, 2017

Hi Manoj,

The term "Scrum users" appears in the Inspection part of the Scrum guide. It says "Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances. Their inspection should not be so frequent that inspection gets in the way of the work. Inspections are most beneficial when diligently performed by skilled inspectors at the point of work."

Let's break this paragraph down...

1. Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts.

There are 3 artifacts:

- The Product Backlog, inspected by the Scrum Team and stakeholders

- The Sprint Backlog, inspected by the Development Team

- The Product Increment, inspected by the Scrum Team and stakeholders

2. [Scrum users must frequently inspect] progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances.

This is done by the Development Team, as specifically mentioned in the Daily Scrum section of the Scrum Guide: "The Development Team uses the Daily Scrum to inspect progress toward the Sprint Goal"

3. Their inspection should not be so frequent that inspection gets in the way of the work.

Arguably, the "work" in this sentence implicitly refers to the work of the Development Team.

4. Inspections are most beneficial when diligently performed by skilled inspectors at the point of work.

I understand here that skilled inspectors depend on what is being inspected so it could be anyone within the Scrum Team or indeed the whole Scrum Team.

Based on the above, I think the "Scrum users" term was chosen as a way to refer to any involved parties without specifying a particular role. It could therefore be the Development Team, The Product Owner, The Scrum Master, stakeholders, or any combination of these roles.

06:01 pm July 18, 2017

Thanks a lot Clem for such a splendid explanation.

05:19 am December 30, 2019

Thank you for posting this question. I had similar query and this post helped me.

I was confused if the Scrum User ,as mentioned exactly once in Scrum Guide, also referred to the 'Organization' as whole as they are users / adopters of the Scrum framework. 

Apriori, Scrum Users sounds much like same as Scrum TEAM. However, future release of the scrum guide should make distinctions.

06:47 pm April 29, 2020

By reading the sentence again, anyone can see how cleverly and concisely the sentence has been written:

Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances.

The key questions are:

• What are Scrum Artifacts?
  • Who do/does inspect each Scrum Artifact?
  • What is the Sprint Goal?
  • How do/does define the Sprint Goal?
  • Who do/does inspect progress toward a Sprint Goal?

I'm sure you'll end up in Scrum Team as Scrum Users.

11:51 pm April 29, 2020

You can find these answers here: https://www.scrumguides.org/

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.