Skip to main content

Could u pls help me? PSM1 prep. exam: What is mandatory in Scrum?

Last post 04:40 pm August 2, 2017 by Ann-Christin Baghi
3 replies
09:12 pm August 1, 2017

Dear all,

I am preparing for my PSM1 exam and desperatly trying to figure out why the answer "using a dedicated development team" to the following question is marked as wrong:

Which of the following are mandatory in Scrum?

options:

Measuring the performance of the Sprints

Using Sprint Backlogs

Using burn-down charts

Using pair-programming

Using test-driven development

Using a dedicated Development Team

The explanation is:

Sprint Backlog is an artifact (all roles, events, and artifacts are mandatory), and there should be some form of Sprint performance measurement and project performance measurement in the project based on the framework. It’s recommended to have dedicated developers, but it’s not mandatory.

I totally agree to "Measuring the performance of the Sprints" and "Using Sprint Backlogs". But I don´t understand why a dev. team isn´t mandatory? Dev. teams is a Scrum Role and roles are mandatory..

I would be so pleased if anyone could please help me?

Greets

Anna

09:48 pm August 1, 2017

Hi Anna, 

The key word here is dedicated, meaning having people whose only responsibility is towards the Development Team.

With that in mind, can you imagine situations where it may be necessary/beneficial to have people who are not dedicated exclusively to the Development Team role?

07:35 am August 2, 2017

Hi Simon,

now I got it.

In practical terms: it could be necessary that employees work on other business events in the company. The framework doesn´t request a dedicated Dev. team.

My language skills could be the straw that will break my neck in the PSM1 exam..

Thanks a lot for your help!

11:57 am August 2, 2017

I think the system dropped my response.

Thanks for your help.

P.S.: I just passed the PSM1 exam. :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.