Skip to main content

Passed PSM I with 92.5% Score

Last post 05:04 pm June 17, 2019 by EPAMBA -COMFORT TUWA
7 replies
05:07 pm August 4, 2017

Hi All,

I would like to inform that I passed PSM I with 92.5% score. Got 74 questions correct. not sure which 6 I missed:). Mostly I received situation questions only.

1. The exam is quite difficult  . 
  2. I have prior scrum experience and I also passed Scrum Fundamentals Certification (SFC) from 'ScrumStudy' earlier.
  3. I read ScrumStudy guide and Nexus guide from Scrum.org.
  4. I took assesments from scrum.org. Day before exam, I got 100% in the open Assesment.
  5. I also bought Management Plaza -  mock exams. It is very very useful. Thanks Management Plaza. 

I have a question on what to do next:-

(1) PMI-ACP  OR

(2) CSM. Most of the teams are expecting CSM certification and NOT PSM. Any idea why? I know CSM is very expensive and easy to pass. Not difficult like PSM. Should I really spend that much extra dollars for CSM? Do we get recognition for PSM alone?

Experts- Please suggest.

Thanks

09:38 pm August 6, 2017

Hi Satheesh,

Congratulation! I also passed the PSM 1 one day ago with 90%.

I agree questions in Management Plaza is very helpful, I practiced 2 times per each exam. I quite believed with my Agile/Scrum experience & results from open assessment but passing the PSM I is another story. I realized this fact from this forum, open assessment in Scrum.org is much easy than the real test.

I'm going to get the PMI-ACP, I applied but need to passed the internal audit before my application is accepted. Not every application will be audited but I was selected. I'm not expert, but I recommend you should get PMI-ACP rather than CSM which is not very neccessary. To be eligible for the PMI-ACP, you need to pass some prerequisites on Project/Agile working experience and Agile contact/training 21 hours.

https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp

I joined some Agile training courses in my company but not had any certification, so I registered to learn an on-line class from one of PMI agencies in my countries. I guess you could do the same if you don't have an Agile certification yet.

BR/Khiem

09:18 am February 20, 2018

".... (2) CSM. Most of the teams are expecting CSM certification and NOT PSM. Any idea why?"

I noticed this strange phenomenon too.  Those who are really interested in Scrum would go for PSM I certification, simply because it is very difficult to pass.  But those who are not interested in Scrum would get sent by their HR Dept to attend the 2-days CSM training, which has simpler assessment and very expensive (albeit paid for by the company).

The rule among my peers: if you're going to pay yourself, go for PSM I.  If your company is sponsoring, then go for CSM.

01:20 pm February 20, 2018

Does PSM 1 get questions from Scaled Scrum ie Nexus, Do we need to have knowledge on Nexus framework as well to pass the exam.?. I am planning to attempt in a week's time

06:45 pm February 20, 2018

My company uses Agile and sent some people to CSM training before I joined.  Since I missed that and wasn't about to spend big money on the CSM course, I went the PSM route.  In other words, my decision wasn't based on caring about Scrum or not, it was wholly a financial one.

I completely agree with Boon's (and his peers') recommendation of going for PSM if you are paying for it and doing CSM if your company requires it.  Also, if the company pays for the CSM why not also do PSM on your own to show you not only can take a course but really do understand the principles behind it?

12:35 am February 21, 2018

>> I have a question on what to do next:-

>> (1) PMI-ACP  OR (2) CSM

Since most agree that PSM is a more rigorous exam than CSM, then why bother to pursue CSM?  Why not work towards something that will make you better at your craft and help you improve as a Scrum Master?

I have the CSM, CSP and ACP (received CSM before PSM came out).  If it was me I would go for PSM II next.  Scrum.org certifications have a great reputation and are well respected.  If asked in an interview why you don't have the CSM, you should be educate your interviewer as to why PSM is better.

If you're not ready for PSM II, PMI-ACP is worthwhile, as you will pick up some great concepts when studying such as XP, Lean, Adaptive Planning, Stakeholder Management and much more.

All the best,

Chris

06:32 am February 21, 2018

Hello all,

I just completed PSM I with 95% ! Very happy to share with you all.

Have seen multiple threads here and most have been very helpful!

My total preparation time : 2 weeks of study + past experience

1) I've read the Scrum guide 4-5 times.

2) As someone suggested, I wrote down key points - helped me remember some key notes.

3) Taken Open Assessments on Scrum.org for PO and Dev along with SM multiple times

4) http://mlapshin.com/ - PSM I tests multiple times and PSPO 1 in learning mode --- The Best

5) https://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/professional-scrum-master-i-psm-i-prac…; - no answers provided here though

6) https://www.testtakeronline.com/welcome.htm multiple times

7) Read Nexus guide once - just skimmed through

During my mock tests, I made sure I spent enough time in analyzing my areas of difficulty and where I made mistakes.

Some topics are not detailed out in the Scrum guide, but I saw Qs in mock exams. For example, Product and Sprint burn-down charts, Burn-down or Burn-up chart differences, Acceptance criteria or Definition of Done, etc.

Hope the above helps any other prospects. Feel free to ask any Qs. I will try my best to answer.

Best wishes,

Madhuri.

10:29 am June 17, 2019

I also passed my PSM I with 92.5%.i have never worked as scrum master before ,but project manager.

it was self-study.The scrum guide ,Valentin Despa udemy lectures, Mikhail Lapshin practice tests  and scrum.org forum helped me grately .

l look forward getting a job in scrum

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.