Skip to main content

How much software is involved?

Last post 02:34 pm October 19, 2018 by Marc Betz
2 replies
01:24 am October 18, 2018

I’m asking because I am on the Network Engineer side of things but I enjoy the Agile system. I have seen it at work and I was curious - how much software development would one need to know if they were interested in heading down a path that would lead to Agile coaching? I’m not asking in a naive way. I am asking because if knowing how to write code and develop an application is a must , well I would have to learn. If it isn’t more about understanding how the application is developed and best practices than it would seem  a little less intimidating but still much to learn. 

Any advice ? I am a self learner happy with my job and figured I could train and see if it is something I enjoy 

07:52 pm October 18, 2018

The Scrum Guide (https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html) section on Uses of Scrum lists many areas that have absolutely no software development in them.  I currently work with a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master who is in our Human Resources department and was certified so that she could be Scrum Master for a Human Resource department that utilized Scrum. 

So to answer your question indirectly, there is absolutely no need to know how to write code.  Now if you become a Scrum Master for a software development organization, having some knowledge of the work is beneficial in your being able to coach the teams on improving their dynamics to be effective. The same could apply for any organization in which you become a Scrum Master.  However, my aforementioned HR Scrum Master was working with one of our software development teams for a while as SM because we were short a headcount for a time.  It can be done. 

Same thing applies to Agile Coaching.  Most people that ascend to the Agile Coach level are able to transcend organizational boundaries.  Companies that embrace agile and undertake agile transformations usually have an Agile Coach that will work with all levels of the organization even up to the C-Staff level.  I am sure you can imagine that the CFO is usually not knowledgeable in software development but there is a lot that they can learn and benefit from by adopting agile practices. 

05:29 am October 19, 2018

Hi Corey,

well a good Scrum Master is a master of many different stances.

Besides the Fact that an ideal Scrum Master is an agile-lean practictioner, he needs to have also valuable knowledge in teaching, mentoring, coaching and facilitating. For me these are the basics you need to fullfill your role as a servant leaner.

Then there is an additional track regarding mastery - not only in terms of business mastery (understanding how you business is running, understanding your customers and the environment) but also in terms of technical mastery. In an software devolpment environment this could be programming skills, if the context in which Scrum is applied is different you also need different "technical skills". (me myself am applying scrum also in the family environment. Seldom I do need programming skills therefore :-) ).

Please remember that technical mastery is just one stance out of many! And form my point of view not the one ranked the highest.

Best regards,

Marc

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.