Skip to main content

One Scrum team with all different projects

Last post 03:22 pm October 4, 2019 by Fahad Raza
5 replies
05:57 am October 2, 2019

Hi, 

I have a scenario that I have a scrum team of 6 people, but all are working on different projects like if one is working on IOS apps other is working on WordPress etc. 

is it possible in Scrum that team is working on different projects? If yes then how I can maintain their scrum board? Would it be project wise or it would be only 1 board with all projects collectively? if anyone have idea can share the details?  

06:04 pm October 2, 2019

Do you feel they're actually a team or more of a group of individuals at that point? 

06:13 pm October 2, 2019

Scrum is product focused. The very first line in the Scrum Guide is:

Scrum is a framework for developing, delivering, and sustaining complex products. 

It also says that:

Scrum Teams deliver products iteratively and incrementally, maximizing opportunities for feedback. 

If you have one team that is truly supporting multiple products, it is likely going to be hard to take advantage of some of the features of Scrum. Perhaps you can consider that, although maybe pieces of Scrum are useful, other aspects may not be and Scrum, as a whole, may not be the best fit for your work.

06:41 pm October 2, 2019

I have a scenario that I have a scrum team of 6 people, but all are working on different projects

Does the team have a Product Owner who can agree a coherent Sprint Goal with the team, one which allows them to work together instead of on different initiatives?

07:24 pm October 2, 2019

If yes then how I can maintain their scrum board?

Fahad, why do you believe it is your responsibility to maintain the team's board?

07:29 am October 4, 2019

Okay thank you All for your replies, There are informative and learning thing for me. 

Can you please help me with this scenario to be exact. 

Actually I am the project manager of a team. You can say a group of 6 individuals not a team, because they all are working of different projects & technologies. They are not connected with each other in a direct way.

Now I have to manage/map them of Jira, so I can track their work, things on which they are working their timelines etc. You can say project progress of every one of them.

Can I put this case under agile, because we are working on each project in an iterative approach? if yes then which board is best for this ?

As you guys answer above if its not scrum as 'scrum is for complex projects' 

then Can we put it under Kanban Board?? or something you can suggest best. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.