How can the Developers live the Scrum Values even better? 🚀 - Back to the foundations of the Scrum framework (43)
You should expect the use of Scrum to become more successful when the Team lives the Values of commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect. Then empiricism starts to work and trust is being built.
👉 The more people become proficient in living the Scrum values, the more successful the use of Scrum will be.
Each of the team members should live these values. So how can the Developers show this?
- Commitment to deliver the quality that is needed by the users. Nothing more, as this would be too expensive for the user, nothing less as this would not be beneficial to the user.
- Have the Courage to plan for less to deliver more. Plan less features / items, deliver more - the expected quality for these items.
- Focus on the Sprint Goal. Everything else gets in the way. If something does not support the Sprint Goal, how important can it be to work on anyway? Focus on the Definition of Done, which is the quality goal for the team. Quality not achieved = Sprint Goal not achieved.
- Have the needed Openness to your colleagues. If you don’t find a solution to a challenge, say so. Your colleagues will help as you are all working towards the same goal.
- Respect those with whom you work. An at first sight silly idea might turn out to be just what the team needed. You’ll probably only find out by doing.
These are only one example of how each Scrum Value could be lived by the Developers.
Using the Scrum Values as a guide for the Scrum Team how to behave during the entire Sprint will support raising trust. Without trust there will be a low level of transparency - the cornerstone for Scrum.
The more the team becomes skilled in living the Scrum Values, the more transparent the Increment will be.
Together with your Scrum Team, evaluate how the Developers can live the Scrum Values even better.
How do you see that the values of Commitment, Courage, Focus, Openness and Respect are lived? What can you do to make the Scrum Team live these even better?
We hope you will find value in these short blog posts and if you are looking for more clarifications, feel free to take contact.
PS. Next week we'll have a look at the Scrum Values and the Scrum Master.
If you want to take a deeper dive into the core concepts we are covering in this blog series, then surely check out our Professional Scrum MasterY workshop.
Don't want to miss any of these blog posts? Have the professional Scrum foundations series weekly in your mailbox.