Facilitation Techniques for Scrum Events
Scrum events create regularity and transparency and minimize the need for meetings not defined in Scrum. The events are the Daily Scrum, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective, and the Sprint. Often, Scrum events don’t go as planned. Good, lightweight facilitation can help the Scrum Teams get back on track.
Without good facilitation, the Scrum events can turn into ineffective meetings:
- The purpose of the events may be missed
- People might talk over each other or not talk at all
- We might constantly hear the same few voices and miss out on the opinions of others
- Events can run over their timeboxes without creating necessary action items
- Opportunities to collaborate and progress toward desired outcomes may be missed
The following pieces highlight the purpose of each of the Scrum Events, an indication of where the event’s facilitator should place their focus, and a few examples of facilitation techniques that can help guide a team to successful outcomes.